Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #2123
Reading Topic #2123
Klysandral
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 07:30 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Klysandral Click to send private message to Klysandral Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"

LAST EDITED ON 07-31-01 AT 07:31 AM (PDT)

As a high level paladin, I never understand why this shield is so sought after and is worth so much (around 20 sojs on US West).

The only 2 worthwhile mods on this shield which you cannot get on a rare paladin shield are the "cannot be frozen" and "+1 paladin offensive aura" mods. However, the Herald of Zakarum can only have either one of +resists or +dmg mod, whereas a rare paladin shield can have both the +dmg mod and a prismatic mod. Moreover, a typical high end paladin shield would only go for 2-3 sojs as opposed to the 20 sojs of Herald of Zakarum.

So what makes Herald of Zakarum so valuable? It can't be the "+1 paladin offensive aura" mod as the extra dmg is almost negligible when you compare that to a +65% dmg mod on a rare paladin shield. I admit that the "cannot be frozen" mod is awesome but you can easily get a raven frost ring these days with far less.

Please enlighten me on this subject, fellow paladins.

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? [View All] Klysandral 31-Jul-01 TOP
  It's not hot for Paladins at all JeckWild 31-Jul-01 1
  RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? Rand al 31-Jul-01 2
     RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? Klysandral 31-Jul-01 4
         RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? Fairuza 31-Jul-01 5
             RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? Klysandral 31-Jul-01 6
         RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? SouIRaver 31-Jul-01 10
  Did you ask the people trading for it? DracoCausticus 31-Jul-01 3
     RE: Did you ask the people trading for it? Neurofreeze 31-Jul-01 7
         RE: Did you ask the people trading for it? Klysandral 31-Jul-01 12
  Haha I just traded one in HC whyBish 31-Jul-01 8
  Socket it.. Excalibur 31-Jul-01 9
  RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? darnizhaan 31-Jul-01 11
     RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot? Anagarika 31-Jul-01 13

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
JeckWild
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 08:41 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail JeckWild Click to send private message to JeckWild Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "It's not hot for Paladins at all"
In response to message #0

IMHO, Just traders who don't play paladins much see it as a good item becouse of +skills, and "oooh it's class-specific unique"-thing.

High-defence Rhyme with built-in prismatic mod will surely beat Herald Of Zakarum (having Cannot be frozen mod, as well as faster block, +%block and even +%MF)

And both Shae and Eth are pretty common.

So, it's not worth it, and there's nothing you missed - it's just a nice looking mid-level unique.

Cheers.

-=Jeck Wild=-

Rand al
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 09:03 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Rand%20al Click to send private message to Rand%20al Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"

Defense: 216-253 (varies)(Base Defense: 144-168)
Required Level: 40
Required Strength: 104
Durability: 50
Chance To Block: 62%
Smite Damage: 20 To 28
(Paladin Only)
+50% Enhanced Defense
+ (10 Per Character Level) 10-990 To Attack Rating Against Undead (Based On Character Level)
+ (2 Per Character Level) 2-198 % Damage To Undead (Based On Character Level)
+15% Increased Chance Of Blocking
50% Faster Block Rate
Cannot Be Frozen
+2 To Paladin Skill Levels
+1 To Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
Auto Mods*

*snip*

Here's the shield in question. Lets examine it, shall we?

High defense - MUCH more important to Paladins now. You should easily crack 1000 with a good level Holy Shield. Right now, my Paladin is at 2000 defense in Nightmare, Act 5. He has about a 25% chance to be hit my most enemies. Defense is not as useless as it once was.

50% Faster Block - OHHHHHHH baby. This is one of the best mods you can have on a shield. Virtually removes block lock, and lets you hit a hell of a lot more. Do *not* discount this ability

+2 to Paladin skills - Everyone likes more skills

Attack Rating/Damage to Undead - Undead are fairly common throughout the game, who wouldn't want to deal more damage to them?

+1 Offensive Aura's - I find this offensive. *gags*. Nice mod to have though

+15% chance to block - Again, another nice modification.

Audomods - I would rather have +damage%, but resists are nice too.

This shield is the sort of shield that has it all. A rare Crown Shield with the same stats - you'd be googling over. The reason why this shield is wanted so highly, because of yet, it's the best shield commonly traded. Lets face is - it's a solid shield even in the end of the game. Has everything you could want in a shield, and if you can get the resists elsewhere, I consider it the best option available.

I'm looking for one currently

Klysandral
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 09:16 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Klysandral Click to send private message to Klysandral Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"
In response to message #2

> High defense - MUCH more
>important to Paladins now. You
>should easily crack 1000 with
>a good level Holy Shield.
>Right now, my Paladin is
>at 2000 defense in Nightmare,
>Act 5. He has about
>a 25% chance to be
>hit my most enemies. Defense
>is not as useless as
>it once was.

True.

> 50% Faster Block - OHHHHHHH
>baby. This is one of
>the best mods you can
>have on a shield. Virtually
>removes block lock, and lets
>you hit a hell of
>a lot more. Do *not*
>discount this ability

Have you tried the set shield Whitstan's Guard? You may find faster block rate doesn't help as much as you think. It is a highly overrated mod.

> +2 to Paladin skills -
>Everyone likes more skills

Yep, always good.

> Attack Rating/Damage to Undead -
>Undead are fairly common throughout
>the game, who wouldn't want
>to deal more damage to
>them?

Useless mods. Undead are not common in act 5 at all. This is where most people level their characters.

> +1 Offensive Aura's - I
>find this offensive. *gags*. Nice
>mod to have though

Again, highly overrated.

>
> +15% chance to block -
>Again, another nice modification.

Uselss mod. As you said, most paladins have very high level holy shield so this mod doesn't help a whole lot.

> Audomods - I would rather
>have +damage%, but resists are
>nice too.

The problem is that this shield can have either one of the 2 automods, while most high end paladin shields can have +dmg as the automod and prismatic as random mod.

> This shield is the sort
>of shield that has it
>all. A rare Crown Shield
>with the same stats -
>you'd be googling over. The
>reason why this shield is
>wanted so highly, because of
>yet, it's the best shield
>commonly traded. Lets face is
>- it's a solid shield
>even in the end of
>the game. Has everything you
>could want in a shield,
>and if you can get
>the resists elsewhere, I consider
>it the best option available.

Can't argue with this statement. But does it worth 20 sojs, as compared to this shield:

Around 100 def
+2 paladin skill
+56% dmg
+120 AR
+18 to all resists
+39 life
+3 replenish life
non socket

This went for 2 sojs on the trade channel the other day.

Fairuza
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 11:24 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Fairuza Click to send private message to Fairuza Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"
In response to message #4

>Have you tried the set shield Whitstan's Guard? You may find >faster block rate doesn't help as much as you think. It is a >highly overrated mod.

I find this totally untrue...faster blocking is about as far from overrated as it gets. Switching from a 3d shield to Rhyme on my own paladin made a character go from frustrating to fun.

Klysandral
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 11:50 AM (GMT)
6. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"
In response to message #5

You are probably right if your paladin is lightly armored. My paladin has around 5000 def with his defiant merc and I didn't notice any difference using the whitslan guard and a regualr paladin shield.

SouIRaver
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 02:26 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail SouIRaver Click to send private message to SouIRaver Click to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"
In response to message #4

I guess you haven't noticed that those Rotten Corpse type monsters exist in every single popular lvling area(Glacial Trail, Frozen River, Icy Cellar, Halls of Pain, Worldstone Keep 3) in a5 except for Bloody Footsteps which will surely be changed somehow to make it less exploited. Anyways since those +% dmg to demon/undead mods apply to total dmg rather than weapon dmg you'll only need one third as many hits vs undead with that shield equipped, if you're lvl 99

DracoCausticus
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 09:06 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail DracoCausticus Click to send private message to DracoCausticus Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "Did you ask the people trading for it?"

LAST EDITED ON 07-31-01 AT 09:10 AM (PDT)

Maybe it's bugged, does something that isn't listed on the Summit page, or does something "cool" when used with a specific item/skill.

Or like Rand said, maybe it's just pretty good.

Draco

Neurofreeze
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 11:58 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Neurofreeze Click to send private message to Neurofreeze Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "RE: Did you ask the people trading for it?"
In response to message #3

Well, it's most likely because it IS a good shield. Yes, you can get a rare with the important mods, but what's easier to ask for? "I need a rare with super specific mods like blah blah blah, yatta yatta yatta, three more spam lines" or "I need Herald Of Zakarum"? This especially applies to all those nuts with a gazillion SOJs who would rather spend many, many more SOJs on a commonly known item than spend many, many hours searching for a trader with such a rare shield with specific mods.

Klysandral
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 04:06 PM (GMT)
12. "RE: Did you ask the people trading for it?"
In response to message #7

True. But the best rare paladin shields go for 2 sojs while the Herald of Zakarum goes for 20 sojs. Rare +2 paladin shields are very common, I didn't look very hard and found like 3 or 4 shields with +2 skills, + dmg and + resists and the owners all asked for around 2 to 3 sojs.

I never say the Herald of Zakarum isn't good. But for it's price, I can get a damn good paladin shield plus a godly elite one hand weapon such as lightsaber or the highlord's amulet, or even vampire gaze.

whyBish
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 01:16 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail whyBish Click to send private message to whyBish Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "Haha I just traded one in HC"

It's even better there as the dmg to undead becomes useful (you gotta get your char to a5 hell before it becomes 'worthless'.
Mine had a 35% resist all automod, which with a perf emerald added becomes 54% res all, 3 less than a 3d shield.

It is a great shield, but why did I trade it?

Well here's what I got:
Dwarfstar (this is HC, high mdr is useful)
Gravepalm (this is undervalued at the moment, high dmg to undead on gloves)
Barb set helm (didn't want it, but seller insisted)
10 perfect emeralds
1 Ko Rune (which became a nice 15/9 dmg reduced/mdr ring)
Mavinas Belt (didn't want, but again seller insisted)

Peoplpe value resists highly in HC, and to get them with plus skills on the same item is a real hughe bonus. For certain builds the def is beneficial, and for most builds the block rate is very important (HC).

Excalibur
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 01:30 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Excalibur Click to send private message to Excalibur Click to add this user to your buddy list  
9. "Socket it.."

Never underestimate the power of the Socket Quest. With this, if you get an auto-mod with the enhanced damage, socket it, and stick a Perfect Diamond or Um rune in. If you get Prismatic, get an Enhanced Damage Jewel. Um and the Jewel may be somewhat hard to get, however the prices are dropping.

darnizhaan
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 03:43 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail darnizhaan Click to send private message to darnizhaan Click to add this user to your buddy list  
11. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"

Hmmm, why does everyone prefer the dmg mod on pal shlds over the +res all?? It does not appear to be multiplied by your skills. In fact it appears to be tacked on at the end, just a flat +50some% of your weapons base damage.

Anagarika
Charter Member
31-Jul-01, 07:02 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Anagarika Click to send private message to Anagarika Click to add this user to your buddy list  
13. "RE: Herald Of Zakarum - why is it so hot?"
In response to message #11

Could you show me a screenshot of it going for 20 SOJs? I simply dont beleive that it is commonly traded for anywhere near 20 Sojs, that's absurd. It was my understanding that it was only a few Sojs (on USEast)

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic