Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Act II Merc's Aura activation problems" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3629
Reading Topic #3629
shadowman123
Member since 21-Nov-02
25-Nov-02, 10:43 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail shadowman123 Click to send private message to shadowman123 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
"Act II Merc's Aura activation problems"

Anyone ever had problems with their act II merc's aura not activating right away? Sometimes he turns it on right away and other times it takes him awhile. I have a friend who plays single player that claimed his holy freeze merc did not turn on his aura for like 15 minutes (I cannot verify how accurate this claim is though since I was not there). It just gets annoying sometimes and I figure if there is any trick to getting his aura to turn on faster someone in this forum is going to know how

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Act II Merc's Aura activation problems [View All] shadowman123 25-Nov-02 TOP
  Let him participate in combat Epi 25-Nov-02 1
     RE: Let him participate in combat Ruvanal 25-Nov-02 2
         Well that kinda blows shadowman123 26-Nov-02 4
  RE: Act II Merc's Aura activation problems Gnollguy 25-Nov-02 3
     RE: Act II Merc's Aura activation problems Ruvanal 26-Nov-02 5
     Actually... AK404 30-Nov-02 6
         That requires you to have bone wall. :-) Gnollguy 30-Nov-02 7

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Epi
Charter Member
25-Nov-02, 10:57 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Epi Click to send private message to Epi Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "Let him participate in combat"
In response to message #0

Act 2 mercs only activate their auras when they're engaged in the combat - there are fixed chance for them (sorry, don't remember exact numbers) to either use normal attack, jab, or activate the aura. If you kill everything in sight before mercs can get close enough, he will never activate the aura.

-Epi.

Ruvanal
Charter Member
25-Nov-02, 11:22 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ruvanal Click to send private message to Ruvanal Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Let him participate in combat"
In response to message #1

The Jab chance is not fixed and increase as the mercs level increases. Since the Jab chance increases the other two action end up decreasing in the likelyhood that they will be done.
The holy freeze merc has a low percentage chance to activate the aura in the first place.

At level 55+ the HF merc has the folling for chances.
default 30 (this is a normal attack)
Jab 192+3/level after 55
aura 10 (stops to activate aura, even if it is already active)

The chance for any one of these is chance/(total chances).

At level 55 the chance to active the aura would then be 10/(30+192+10)=4.3% (and it will get worse at higher levels)
And this will only be checked as Epi noted, when the merc is in melee range and attacking.

shadowman123
Member since 21-Nov-02
26-Nov-02, 05:11 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail shadowman123 Click to send private message to shadowman123 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
4. "Well that kinda blows"
In response to message #2

Ugh that is kinda dumb that their AI is set up that way. Well that explains why his merc never activated his aura. I am pretty sure he was killing things fast enough that his merc did not see a whole lot of combat. Heh, he was getting pretty pissed off about it. Hopefully they tweak the merc AI for patch 1.10 (whenever it does come out that is). Thanks to everyone who responded and helped me out. It is nice to have such a great source of info in times like this.

Gnollguy
Member since 11-Jan-03
25-Nov-02, 11:43 PM (GMT)
Click to send private message to Gnollguy Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Act II Merc's Aura activation problems"
In response to message #0

I alway take off their weapon and then let them go beat on monsters while I stand back until the aura goes up. Even really big mercs will take a few swings to take out a zombie. So you can go back to Act I and just let him get it up, then go on your merry way.

I always thought they AI would turn the aura on if would be more beneficial for the merc, though the numbers posted by Ruvanal above seem to not really agree with that. But it just seems that my healing mercs never turn the aura on unless they are hurt, the defense ones, never seem to turn it on until they get hit, etc. The Might mercs seem to turn it on as soon as they do any attack.

I used to take the armor off as well to get them hit, but it didn't really seem to help, and the formulas seem to bear that out as well. So the only thing removing the weapon does is ensures they will stay engaged longer if you aren't attacking stuff.

As for a merc not getting an aura up for a long time. The longest I timed was 24 minutes for a prayer merc. Of course this merc was on a zookeeper necro who teams with my wife's thorns paladin, the merc died, but I still had a full army of skels and mages so the merc really didn't engage much at all. I was just about to un-summon everything, because without him around skeletons are useless, with him around you only have to raise them up when you fighting specials (the heal between the fights is tremendous for skels, with a L30+ thorns around and amp damage, even in hell, things kill themselves quite fast). But depending on circumstances, it can take forever to get them to activate the aura.

I always thought they auras should be on permanently now that they only have the one aura type, but that just isn't the way it works.

----------
That's it there is nothing more to see here.

Ruvanal
Charter Member
26-Nov-02, 10:52 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ruvanal Click to send private message to Ruvanal Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Act II Merc's Aura activation problems"
In response to message #3

The sad part is that there is a really easy way to get them to turn on their auras once early in their engagement of the enemy. It is the same technique that they used on the act 3 cold mercs to get them to activate their Frozen Armor when they first get into a fight. This is frequently used in modded games.

AK404
Charter Member
30-Nov-02, 11:12 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail AK404 Click to send private message to AK404 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
6. "Actually..."
In response to message #3

Strangely enough, necromancers have the easiest time making a merc activate his aura. Simply pop a bone wall in front of him and let him attack it until his aura pops on. Hell, whenever my necro's in a game, I invite all players with mercs to charge up on his bone wall.

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Gnollguy
Member since 11-Jan-03
30-Nov-02, 01:58 PM (GMT)
Click to send private message to Gnollguy Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "That requires you to have bone wall. :-)"
In response to message #6

Since you get no exp when monsters kill themselves on bone wall, and I am playing with a pally that has a L32 thorns, you don't want to waste exp, so the necro never put a point in bonewall, never saw the need. I also didn't want to watch all my minions huddle around it either.

My other necro's have it, but I never thought about using it that way (I rarely use the spell at all actually). I will have to remember that, since it is a good idea.

----------
That's it there is nothing more to see here.

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic