The Lurker Lounge Forums
Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? (/thread-17530.html)

Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Taem - 04-29-2018

I'm researching how to create a stand-alone bootable USB OS out of Windows 10, same as Linux Mint, so I can have my entire OS on a flash drive. So far, everything I've read seems to think the ONLY reason I want a bootable OS is to install W10 on a computer... but I don't! Perhaps I can actually use one of these online methods and actually "boot" into W10, however from what I've seen, it doesn't appear that way, and I don't really feel like wasting hours only to confirm what I suspect anyway so I'm hoping someone here knows how to create a bootable W10 usb stand-alone OS?

I'd preferably like it barebones with networking/internet disabled and MS Excel and Word reader/student versions, or perhaps even the full versions I suppose. Does anyone have any idea how to do this, or if it's even possible?

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Taem - 04-29-2018

Apparently, I wasn't using the correct wording; it's "portable" in the computing world, not bootable. At first, I tried "bootable", "standalone", etc. I just happened to stumble upon the word portable after searching for about an hour.

Here is a quick way of doing it, in case anyone is interested. All of your settings will save if you make changes, according to the article. I plan on installing Windows, updating it, MS Word and Excel and updating those, then disabling the drivers for internet. I want it specifically and only for word processing. The generic drivers in Windows should allow me to use any printer, mouse, keyboard, etc.

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - DeeBye - 04-29-2018

That's interesting, but I have a question about this. Since the Windows key is tied to the hardware, how does it deal with moving a portable Windows drive from machine to machine?

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Lissa - 04-29-2018

There is a way, but there are caveats.

First, you need to be using Windows 10 Enterprise (not Home, not Pro).

Second, it requires Windows 10 already be running on a system when you insert the USB Windows-to-go.

Windows to Go

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Taem - 04-30-2018

I'll let you know how it goes. I have a 2 TB USB HD I'd like to use, but it has 500+GB of movies I have to move somewhere before attempting this. If you're correct Lissa, that would utterly defeat the purpose of what I want to use it for. I'll keep you all posted once I find out for sure.

Some of the work computers, idk what those managers do and I don't want a nasty virus to be transfered to my portable, nor do I want my activities spied upon through the remote connect.

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Lissa - 04-30-2018

Another option, if you're willing to spend the money (so you can't use a previously setup USB or similar removable storage):

Intel Compute Stick

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Taem - 05-03-2018

Nothing I'm reading on the official Microsoft page reflects what you're saying about the host computer needing to be running to use Win To-Go. As a matter of fact, all the FAQ says to start it on a shut-down computer and not to use it on a running computer due to the possibility of compromising W2G.

Quote:Warning
It is strongly recommended that you do not plug your Windows To Go drive into a running computer. If the computer is compromised, your Windows To Go workspace can also be compromised.

RE: Anyone know how to create a Bootable W10 USB? - Taem - 07-14-2018

I found another way to do it using the office computer without leaving a trace.

1) Root your android phone and allow tethering with pw
2) Bring your own WiFi usb nic and TAILS OS on a flash drive; plug into computer
3) Boot into BIOS and set boot priority to USB
4) Save and Restart into TAILS, setup your WiFi nic to your tethered phone

...profit!