The Lurker Lounge Forums
My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. (/thread-17715.html)

My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - DeeBye - 08-27-2018

[Image: SFUfNLK.png]

My wife was having some problems with the cable box connected to the TV she usually watches, so she called our cable/ISP provider to find a solution. Their solution was to give us a new cable box for the TV, but to do that they also had to package it in with an upgraded internet plan. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining. It isn't costing me anything more, but I did have to go and pick up a new cable box and gigabit modem/router.

Our old plan was 100Mbps unlimited bandwidth, which was just fine for me. I actually got around 150Mbps, so downloading things like games and movies was pretty quick. I don't really need gigabit speeds, but since it was a "free" upgrade from my ISP I'll surely take it.

I'm paying about $125 CAD/month for internet and a pretty decent digital TV package. This includes 2 digital TV boxes and the gigabit modem/router rental.

I remember when I got my first actual "Broadband Internet" (remember that term?) from my ISP. It cost me about $40 CAD/month and was a whopping 2Mbps connection.

Online speed tests are kinda flaky at these speeds. The image above is one of the higher ones I've tested (it's from PC Mag), but I've tested a bunch of others and get anywhere from 500Mbps-1,000Mbps.

RE: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - LavCat - 08-27-2018

My ISP, Comcast, upgraded my bandwidth not too long ago. But they also upgraded my monthly fee.

More like they did away with the plan I had.

RE: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - kandrathe - 08-28-2018

(08-27-2018, 03:37 AM)DeeBye Wrote: [Image: SFUfNLK.png]

My wife was having some problems with the cable box connected to the TV she usually watches, so she called our cable/ISP provider to find a solution. Their solution was to give us a new cable box for the TV, but to do that they also had to package it in with an upgraded internet plan. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining. It isn't costing me anything more, but I did have to go and pick up a new cable box and gigabit modem/router.

Our old plan was 100Mbps unlimited bandwidth, which was just fine for me. I actually got around 150Mbps, so downloading things like games and movies was pretty quick. I don't really need gigabit speeds, but since it was a "free" upgrade from my ISP I'll surely take it.

I'm paying about $125 CAD/month for internet and a pretty decent digital TV package. This includes 2 digital TV boxes and the gigabit modem/router rental.

I remember when I got my first actual "Broadband Internet" (remember that term?) from my ISP. It cost me about $40 CAD/month and was a whopping 2Mbps connection.

Online speed tests are kinda flaky at these speeds. The image above is one of the higher ones I've tested (it's from PC Mag), but I've tested a bunch of others and get anywhere from 500Mbps-1,000Mbps.
Not bad. I tested my work connection. We are throttled by packet device to 100Mbps max. Then again, we share our Internet with 3000 students and 600 employees.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=314]

RE: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - LavCat - 08-28-2018

Where DeeBye lives barbed wire becomes a super conductor.

RE: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - kandrathe - 08-28-2018

(08-28-2018, 02:23 AM)LavCat Wrote: Where DeeBye lives barbed wire becomes a super conductor.
You'd swear it if you've ever strayed too near an electric fence. I got hit once on the top of my head... and saw stars for 10 minutes.

RE: My ISP just upgraded my speeds. This is nuts. - kandrathe - 09-10-2018

(08-28-2018, 12:19 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Not bad. I tested my work connection. We are throttled by packet device to 100Mbps max. Then again, we share our Internet with 3000 students and 600 employees.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=314]
I tweaked my network connection to bypass digital phone hooha. Better.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=316]