The Lurker Lounge Forums
A sequel that made sense - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: A sequel that made sense (/thread-4080.html)

A sequel that made sense - Occhidiangela - 07-22-2006

After reading widely divergent reviews, I decided to see for myself. Clerks was funny and coarse, but funny enough. So, I went to see Clerks II today after work, as I was badly in need of some funny.

I laughed more than I expected. Yes, there is gratuitous grossness. Kevin Smith seems to think that gross is great humor material. The cast timed the gags well, even if there was a bit too much of the "fart joke" genre in the material. There was enough other funny, and back and forth between the characters, to make it worth my while.

I will not post spoilers, nor plot points. The R rating surely was for Revolting.

What I liked most, other than the Michael Jackson song dance moment, was that as a sequel, it felt like a sequel to the first film, rather than just another film trying to cash in on the success of the first.

Twisted and sick, sure, but the main characters indluge in a modest amount of character development (arrested as theirs is in a basic sense). A strange sense of continuity.

I liked the ending, all deus ex machina considered.

So, if you liked Clerks, Clerks II is worth a look, but I recommend a matinee show to save a couple of bucks. If youdidn't see Clerks, don't see Clerks II until you have rented the first. It is a necessary condition for enjoying this film.

Occhi

A sequel that made sense - DeeBye - 07-26-2006

I watched it today, and I liked it. It really was a throwback to the original Clerks, which is a very good thing. I wish I could post some of the humour, but the Lounge is PG13 and none of the really funny jokes could be mentioned here :D

The most disturbing and hilarious thing was Jay doing his impression of a certain scene from Silence of the Lambs :o

A sequel that made sense - Mithrandir - 07-27-2006

I enjoyed it and definitely thought it was worth a viewing. I thought the donkey show was a little too drawn out but it was consistently amusing and the rest of the movie was paced well, so it is forgivable I suppose. The movie was painfully predictable however... I literally knew everything that was going to happen after watching the first 15 minutes.

I must also say, props for putting in a scene with Rosario Dawson dancing in slow motion.

A sequel that made sense - ima_nerd - 08-01-2006

Quote:The most disturbing and hilarious thing was Jay doing his impression of a certain scene from Silence of the Lambs
:wacko:I'm still having nightmares about that...

The movie had a surprising amount of long scenes devoid of crude humor. The plot was easily predicted but he at least paid attention to it between the various disturbing sights. I haven't seen Clerks but am planning on it ASAP. The others I was watching it with said it was an excellent sequel to the original so I'm looking forward to it.