A sequel that made sense
After reading widely divergent reviews, I decided to see for myself. Clerks was funny and coarse, but funny enough. So, I went to see Clerks II today after work, as I was badly in need of some funny.

I laughed more than I expected. Yes, there is gratuitous grossness. Kevin Smith seems to think that gross is great humor material. The cast timed the gags well, even if there was a bit too much of the "fart joke" genre in the material. There was enough other funny, and back and forth between the characters, to make it worth my while.

I will not post spoilers, nor plot points. The R rating surely was for Revolting.

What I liked most, other than the Michael Jackson song dance moment, was that as a sequel, it felt like a sequel to the first film, rather than just another film trying to cash in on the success of the first.

Twisted and sick, sure, but the main characters indluge in a modest amount of character development (arrested as theirs is in a basic sense). A strange sense of continuity.

I liked the ending, all deus ex machina considered.

So, if you liked Clerks, Clerks II is worth a look, but I recommend a matinee show to save a couple of bucks. If youdidn't see Clerks, don't see Clerks II until you have rented the first. It is a necessary condition for enjoying this film.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I watched it today, and I liked it. It really was a throwback to the original Clerks, which is a very good thing. I wish I could post some of the humour, but the Lounge is PG13 and none of the really funny jokes could be mentioned here :D

The most disturbing and hilarious thing was Jay doing his impression of a certain scene from Silence of the Lambs :o
I enjoyed it and definitely thought it was worth a viewing. I thought the donkey show was a little too drawn out but it was consistently amusing and the rest of the movie was paced well, so it is forgivable I suppose. The movie was painfully predictable however... I literally knew everything that was going to happen after watching the first 15 minutes.

I must also say, props for putting in a scene with Rosario Dawson dancing in slow motion.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:The most disturbing and hilarious thing was Jay doing his impression of a certain scene from Silence of the Lambs
:wacko:I'm still having nightmares about that...

The movie had a surprising amount of long scenes devoid of crude humor. The plot was easily predicted but he at least paid attention to it between the various disturbing sights. I haven't seen Clerks but am planning on it ASAP. The others I was watching it with said it was an excellent sequel to the original so I'm looking forward to it.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune