Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote:Ah, but what about those instances where the people at the very top order the military to undertake something that would be considered a War Crime and the people at the very top can effectively stone wall being brought to Justice or can claim exceptional circumstances to get around internal law. What do you do then in order to bring about justice? We've already seen the checks and balances be thrown about by using Executive Orders and other powers available. Who then is to bring about justice in those instances Occhi?
You want them, you figure out a way to arrest them, bring them before a court, and charge them. How hard is that? File the motion that won't get thrown out of court, and you have yourself the beginnings of "the case of the century." Appealing to "international courts" that do not have even the enforcement powers, or lack thereof, of our own courts strikes me as ludicrous.

International law is as valid as its enforement, or its acceptance by those in the "international arena." It has no validity beyond that. Where the US Senate has agreed to an international protocol, per our Constitution, US citizens are bound by that law.

I see no reason to abbrogate the rights of citizenship by throwing any American citizen upon the mercy of a court not made up of that citizen's "peers." Smells of tribunals and Star Chambers to me. Your trust in "international" is misplaced. The driving motivation behind a lot of this rhetoric is envy and resentment of whoever happens to be perceived as "the top dog" of the moment. The courts are used as a tool in this country -- Dylan's "justice is a game" lyric springs to mind -- which is small potatoes to the international scene.

You can have your Star Chambers, and your People's Tribunals. Ask the scions of Ho Chi Minh how to set one up.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by Occhidiangela - 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM