Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Hi,

I just finished the book, and am quite disappointed. It was a nice read, but (along with book 6) pales in comparison to Rowling's creative writing and nice ideas from books 1-5. I'm not disappointed because my expectations were too high (they weren't), but because she had resorted to such a large amount of cheap plagiarism, like most of the rest of today's fantasy literature.

*** SPOILER

*** WARNING, SPOILER AHEAD

*** SPOILER

- Voldemort immortal because he stored his life into several Horphylacterycruxes, like some cheap AD&D lich? Bah.

- Gandambledore tempted to use the power of the One, uh, Three hallows? The One Hallow becoming heavy and uncomfortable when worn, corrupting the mind of the bearer? Yay, how imaginative.

- Limbo for Harry actually being a train station, like in the Matrix? C'mon, I know Rowling can do better than this!

- Way too much action for my taste, compared to the previous books. "You've got half a dozen wands pointing at you"?!? For a moment I thought I was reading the latest Terry Pratchett...at least I got a laugh out of that, although probably not intended by the author.

Still, I found reading the book entertaining and exciting nonetheless, and I'm glad it's over now. Won't watch the movie though; gave up after the first two and found them not worth it.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Messages In This Thread
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Baylan - 07-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Mavfin - 07-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Icebird - 07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Baylan - 07-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Jester - 07-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Bolty - 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Doc - 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - by Kylearan - 07-28-2007, 06:26 PM