[Terenas] Identification of KEY Kara upgrades
Quote:It's not bad, it's just not helpful from a mitigation standpoint. I think this might be a class outlook point since a Paladin needs a *lot* of avoidance to become uncrushable, so they prioritize that sort of gear and they get threat from retribution aura, holy shield and consecration that +hit doesn't help with. Druids have no problem with threat generation, so it's not like they really need any more hit. Warriors, however, are entirely dependant upon hitting their target to generate threat, and they don't have the massive threat generation of a Druid. Hence, +hit is probably more useful for a Warrior than a Pally/Druid. :)
Well, of course tohit doesn't help with mitigation... :D Threat generation is a tanks' ultimate job, mitigation is important because if they don't mitigate enough, they die, and that's the most sure way to stop generating threat. :P

The more threat a tank puts out and the faster they do it, the faster and harder the dps can start and push, meaning the mob dies faster which ultimately means (we) took less damage. Thus I view dps as it's own form of mitigation. Now, that model only works under certain types of fights, there's other fights were pure mitigation is the number one goal, it simply depends on what you're up against.

I have little personal experience with tanking as a paladin (unless you want to count Deadmines and Shadowfang, which I'm not:P) and I also don't consider them equitable tanks compared to bears & warriors so true, I didn't take that into them consideration when I was opining what was useful. They gear very differently.

Now, from my time tanking on Frigid, I can say with experience that to-hit is important for a bear also. Missing a 2.5s Maul and/or a Mangle early on in a fight puts you way behind the threat curve with the dps. For a bear it's possibly even more painful (to miss) because you have to wait another 2.5s to swing.

With as hard and high as dps can push, my feeling is that it's best to gear so you can't be 2-shot by what you're tanking, then gear for threat.

Cheers,
~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.

Messages In This Thread
[Terenas] Identification of KEY Kara upgrades - by Frag - 08-10-2007, 08:31 PM