I got an honorable mention at GameFront for bashing Blizzard fanboys
(05-14-2012, 03:24 PM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: This is like that one time a professor of mine got stuck on whether to use the article "a" or "an" when describing variable "r". He stopped a student presenting and had a 15 minute aside asking, "Is this 'a r' or 'an r'? Does anybody know?"
I'm guessing this professor was not one of linguistics, or one of the modern languages (including English). Some consonants such as "Ar", or "Em", we would describe by their phonetic value. Give me an R! Give me an M! But, it would be "Give me a T" for other consonants.

However, I don't want to derail this thread into a discourse of labiodental approximants versus dental ejectives...

P.S. I only know this stuff because of my work with AI, and voice recognition. One of my first tough algorithms when I was pre-college was one that accurately calculated the number of syllables in a word. It turns out that is not a real easy thing to calculate.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I got an honorable mention at GameFront for bashing Blizzard fanboys - by kandrathe - 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM