Knights of the Old Republic Appreciation Thread.
Spoilers ahead!

Spoiler still ahead!

Here it goes:

As the Light side, defeating Bastilia the second time (choosing Light Path on the Temple Roof-tops), the player gains the option of executing her. This option does not leave even as the player chooses to declare his love for Bastilia (Nope, sorry, no homosexuality in Star Wars. Female characters cannot kiss nor make love to Bastilia).

Once the option of Executing Bastilia is taken, a small FMV shows the player about to swing as Bastilia is in meditation pose on her knees for her to-be-executed viewing. The player and end events occur as if she dies. He swings the lightsabre, and the noise is made as the screen blacks out. Bastilia has disappeared, presumably dead. After defeating Malak, Carth comments on her death in the last dialogue.

In the final Medal of Honor ceremony, the scene plays as normal ending with Bastilia would... except she's not there next to you. In fact, as it plays it seems she's not there at all... except. Bastilia's still there! Only a little bit more over to the right! She's not dead! or has a pretty sister, twin and relative... but Bastilia doesn't. Bastilia is still alive!!!

All right, it may be argued the player's character cannot bring himself to kill Bastilia, but that would be a plothole-- because the player is given choice and unlike other non-choices, the game doesn't take over and explicitly say he cannot kill Bastilia. We are led to believe she's dead... while the ending erroneously shows Bastilia is still alive... even after being 'killed'! Executed really.

Bastilia isn't a ghost either. Need the blue-ish tint for that :P Bastilia's still alive! After abusing her emotions (for that game, I was mean and abusive to my party memebers while being a technical goody goody in status--cruel, no?) and "killing" her. Die Bastilia Die! You can't win in this game. Be overlord of the Sith empire, but with a crazy fanatical girlfriend more interested in power than you? Or, be a second rate sap who's whipped by the Republic and Jedi Council and whose girlfriend is likely going to be put on trial, lose, and mind-wiped. Where's my Twi'lek harem when I need one?

Messages In This Thread
Knights of the Old Republic Appreciation Thread. - by Drasca - 01-16-2004, 12:53 AM