The barber appreciation thread
The thing I like about tipping people like barbers is that I know that goes straight into THEIR pocket. No divvies, no percentages to assistants. They did the service, they get the notice. I suppose Pizza-delivery is on the same page as that, but I can't be positive. God knows I'd keep it all if *I* was the one driving around and knocking on stoner-doors all Friday night.

I've also tipped Liquor store clerks when they've been informative and helpful. Also pump jockeys; if they put in the time and effort, I put in the notice and coinage. When it's -40 C outside, with windchill... and they make sure my windows are clear and my lights are clean on top of the fill... that's service with a capital S.

Waiters/Waitresses, well that's a different matter. I'll use the masculine form in my explanation to save effort...

Waiters, by and large, MUST give a percentage of their shifts' sales to the Kitchen staff (which includes the cooks, bussers and sometimes the dishwashers). Where I'm situated, this is usually 5% of the nights sales from their tables. What they're assuming here is that the Waiter is getting tips based on their orders through the night. If we assume that the average tipper gives 10% (cheapass) to 15% (acceptable) of their meal total to the waiter... then the kitchen is getting 1/2 to 1/3 of that for themselves. That amount comes straight out of the Waiter's pocket, regardless of how much in tips they actually garnered during their shift.

Now then... I usually tend to go with the 20%, 10% and 0% rule for serving staff when I eat out. It's easy to calculate on the fly, and tends to cover my "message" at the time.

20% tip is when they have been exceptionally efficient in their job. At 20%, the waiter has been attentive without being obtrusive. They've been chatty while knowing the exact moment to shut up. They make their recommendations in a subtle manner and never second-guess your own judgement calls. They seem to show up precisely when you think to yourself "I could use a X... where is the waiter?" This type of service is what makes an outing absolutely wonderful.

10% is when they've covered their bases, did their job and generally haven't spilt anything on me. The food is ordered, the food is delivered. They didn't piss me off, insult me or my party and generally did a "sufficient" effort. Neither good nor bad, I realize their time is money too... so I give enough to cover the Kitchen's percentage and a small bit for themselves.

0%. Rather self-explanatory -- they sucked. They wouldn't shut up, they were crass and rude. They couldn't get the order right if you tattooed it on their forehead for the Kitchen to read. Everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong and it was their bloody fault. Essentially at 0%, my meal just cost THEM money. 0% tips are invariably accompanied with small notes on the back of the bill addressed to the manager, urging them to attempt to save their business from the atrocity that's serving their customers. Since it is a bill, said "atrocity" cannot destroy the paperwork... and the message generally gets to someone that'll show it to someone that needs to see it.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.

Messages In This Thread
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-09-2004, 04:57 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by Walkiry - 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by [wcip]Angel - 04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Lady Vashj - 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Yrrek - 04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-10-2004, 03:40 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by Nicodemus Phaulkon - 04-10-2004, 05:09 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-10-2004, 05:36 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by kandrathe - 04-10-2004, 02:07 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by AtomicKitKat - 04-10-2004, 03:14 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Tal - 04-10-2004, 03:49 PM