Blown away by Customer Service
I've been very disappointed with a lot of companies' customer service. You name it, I've dealt with it, too many times. I've always been the one who calls and spends hours on the phone with company x or corporation y trying to straighten things out.

So when the cable connecting the LCD to the base on my 6-month-old IBM ThinkPad laptop decided to break, I prepared myself for another round of woe with another big companies customer service.

What I received instead was a pleasant surprise.

I called IBM customer support three weeks ago and explained the problem. After giving the usual information, a box was shipped out overnight. The next day I got a rather hefty sized padded cardboard box in the mail with a prepaid postage (this is all very typical of hardware servicing now-a-days). Due to issues of arranging a pick up date at a dorm, the computer sat in my room hooked up to an independent monitor until thanksgiving break when I could bring it home and ship it out.

By then two weeks had passed, and I was unsure if they would recognize the computer after receiving it so late. I called on Tuesday afternoon after it was picked up at 4 pm. They still had the record and double-checked the information.

They received it Wednesday morning. Thursday afternoon (at 3pm) I was holding my computer, returned from IBM. What did they fix? They went so much further than they had to: the only thing needing immediate repair was the cable connecting the LCD to the computer. They replaced the cable, the LCD itself, the motherboard, put in a new CD drive, and replaced the plastic faceplate around the keyboard (it had a slight 1 inch hairline crack).

My computer was gone for less than 72 hours, and came back fully repaired.

I've never encountered such good fortune before.

On a side note: As many lurkers have probably read in the headlines, IBM is selling its share in the PC market. Hopefully Lenovo will continue this exceptional support.

Any lurkers have stories of praise, or horror, when dealing with big corporations?

Cheers,

Munk

Messages In This Thread
Blown away by Customer Service - by Munkay - 12-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Armin - 12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Wyrm - 12-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Copadope - 12-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Munkay - 12-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Griselda - 12-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Urza-DSF - 12-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Blown away by Customer Service - by jahcs - 12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Blown away by Customer Service - by Kevin - 12-06-2004, 11:25 PM