Ways to make some programs work better
whyBish,Feb 1 2005, 03:17 AM Wrote:a ) Children living in households with substance abuse (alcohol, smoking, drugs) etc.  Or even not abuse but increased exposure.  Decriminalisation will increase usage (or is this disputed?), increasing the number of children that will be exposed within the home.

b )  Protecting non-users from the users.  Just like the drug testing example showed.  1/100 drivers in that sample were under the influence of drugs.  That's bad enough, but do you really want the numbers to increase?

As to your example, again I'll state that it is just my opinion, but I would prefer the person locked up.  Better no influence than a harmful one.
[right][snapback]66852[/snapback][/right]

No matter what the laws are, people growing up with drug problems in their houses are generally at a disadvantage no matter what people do about it.

If the person has a drug problem right now, they are more likely to be involved with other criminal types who, whether you argue about immorality of drugd or not, are more like to be involved with other types of crimes such as robberies, which adds a pretty clear bad influence that no one argues with. In area where drugs are very common, there is extra crime that causes problems for everyone in the area, not just the family, which is a pretty big effect on non users. With legalized drugs, these problems mostly go away. The replacement problems, more people using drugs, less ability to deal with abuse problems since abuses won't be cought as easily as drug usage plus abuse, effect far less people per drug user. I do agree that abuse problems would be a problem with this strategy, but the more drug users problems gets cancelled out.

Right now, with the drug strategies used now, if someone gets into a n accident or hurts someone on some problem drugs when they normallly wouldn't off of them, non users half ot pay for the courts, jails, hospital costs, and drug treatments. If drugs got legalized and taxed, or fined, or some other such money maker, these costs would go to users and there would be less, in my first post I said that this is where I thiunk the money should be made to mostly go. Since these costs exist already, increases in them because of extra users should get cancelled by less costs forthe crime parts and by extra money coming in.

The main problems I see are extra accidents do mean more people get killed from them, which I think less crime should take care of, and also extra family problems that may or may not also get cancelled out by less crime, and the lastr one I don;t have any ideas for that laws can do.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)

Messages In This Thread
Ways to make some programs work better - by jahcs - 02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Ways to make some programs work better - by jahcs - 02-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Ways to make some programs work better - by Minionman - 02-02-2005, 01:40 AM