Paladin thought
Recently I've been thinking about different strategies for some high level content that I am just starting to get introduced to. If you don't want to read my whole diatribe skip to the last paragraph.

Just last night Niniuin (Sword_of_Doom) and I had the "pleasure" of being in a raid group that was wiped in the "room from hell" in Scholomance and it got me to thinking about how to do that with a group of 5, specifically with the current set of Lurkers we have on Stormrage...

We currently only have one top level tank, Nini who is a level 60 paladin. Due to the fact that the skeletons in that room are mage immune (and we have 2 of those out of the 6) it would increase the time that it would take for our group to kill off those mobs. This means more healing from the priest and thus a greater chance of the the priest drawing aggro. One issue I have seen at high levels is paladins holding aggro when there are multiple targets so I thought about the problem a bit to see if we could get around it.

The thought that I came up with was to use retribution aura to help generate hate on all targets as they beat on the paladin thus increasing the chance of them sticking. That combined with Blessing of Salvation seems like a way to keep the mobs glued to the paladin while our lowered dps works on taking down the mobs. I thought this seemed like a fairly logical conclusion but I wasn't sure if the aura would actually build up hate for the pally as the mobs took the retribution damage.

I decided to wade through the blizzard forums a bit to see if I could get an answer but saw too much whining about the changes in the recent/upcoming patch so I posted a topic myself asking for an answer. You can see the resulthere.

The long and short of it is that it seems to me (as someone who has not played a high level pally) that retribution aura could be a great choice for a pally that needs to tank with multiple targets. Unleashing something like fury might be useful if a mob tries to get away (or using aoe just to try to generate some hate if multiple mobs try to break). Can anyone confirm or deny my thoughts? This might be a key to helping a pally be a viable tank if necessary in the late game.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)

Messages In This Thread
Paladin thought - by mjdoom - 02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Paladin thought - by Tal - 02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Paladin thought - by mjdoom - 02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Paladin thought - by Artega - 02-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Paladin thought - by Taeme - 02-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Paladin thought - by mjdoom - 02-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Paladin thought - by Tal - 02-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Paladin thought - by Sword_of_Doom - 02-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Paladin thought - by vor_lord - 02-03-2005, 03:25 PM