Complete lack of any AI for the monsters
Jarulf,Aug 31 2005, 06:58 AM Wrote:You are still locked into the existing system. Sure, one might have to change the system oe normal/elites. Why must EVERY monster have tons of damage just because it is supposed to be a hard encounter? Why no mix? Why not mix in hard hitting monsters with less hard hitting ones that for example goes after priests and such. After all, players are vastly different, not all hit hard, not all wear huge armor and so on, why not have the same for monsters? There are endless possibilities.
[right][snapback]87727[/snapback][/right]

They've actually included bits of that in the game as it is. In the event warlocks use to get their dreadsteeds, one of the challenges presented is several waves of tiny, melee imps. They're non-elite, and die pretty easy. But there are so many, and the next waves hits so fast, that there's pretty much always going to be a bunch of them floating around the battle. And, once again, because there's so many, it's nearly impossible for a warrior to keep them all aggroed. So once some healing or some AoE starts getting thrown around, a sizable horde will peel to whichever squishies are making them the least happy.

The catch here is that they deal about 1 damage each hit. If you've got ALL of them, and no healing at all, you'll drop eventually. But their biggest purpose is just to screw the healer or the ranged DPS, without going into two-hit-kill territory.

You could AoE them all down pretty fast. But they just keep coming for about a full five minutes, and you'd probably have to have at least two AoE-monkeys acting in shifts for their mana to outlast it all. But even then, that would drain the healer's mana even faster, and leave only two people with their undivided attention on the four elite felguards, elite dreadsteed, and elite dreadlord, which are the bigger threats.

It's a fun, chaotic fight. As a DPS/AoE monkey, last time I did that event, I made it my job to alternate between throwing out some DPS, and pulling the imps on the priest onto myself. In the process of AoEing the little buggers to catch their attention, I also pulled a couple of the Felguards, who tore me up pretty bad. But I kited 'em around, and dropped from combined imp/elite felguard attention late enough in the fight that the rest of the party was prepared to handle the ones I was occupying.

Messages In This Thread
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by Bob the Beholder - 08-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by savaughn - 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM