Yet another D3 discussion
Greetings Pete.

You should DEFINITELY play through the entire series of Baldur's Gate. I have yet to play the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, but I've heard it's pretty good. However, I end up spending FAR more time with SoA (Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn) and/or ToB (Throne of Bhaal) than I do with BG1. While BG1 in itself is an EXCELLENT game, and most definitely required if you want to get a real grasp on the events that transpire about you, SoA is much more fun in the gameplay department. Like in BG1, a significant portion of the game takes place in Chapter Two, where you're allowed free reign to do numerous sidequests and whatnot, though you DO have an overall agenda to fulfill. In Chapter Six, you're let loose again to finish up any side quests you didn't do in Chapter Two, and to do other little bits. SoA also introduces inter-party banter (well, it is in BG1 as well, but the only time I ever saw any was between Khalid and Jaheira), and NPC romances. In SoA, a male character (must be Human, Half-Elf, or Elf) has the opportunity to romance Jaheira, Viconia, or Aerie (a new NPC; Viccy and Jaheira return from BG1, along with Edwin, Minsc, and Imoen. Other BG1 NPCs make cameo appearances; some are dead, some are just for laughs). A female character has the chance to be romanced by Anomen (another new NPC). While it's really kinda corny when you think about it, it really does add a whole new dimension to the game, and really adds to the effect of you filling a role. Depending on who you romance, all kinds of things can happen. ToB takes the romance you were in in SoA (assuming you didn't do a stupid and end it) and takes it a step further. A certain someone even has a chance for an Alignment change (to those who know little about AD&D, Alignments are hugely important - an Alignment change is very big, and very rare.)

Also, to add a little incentive to complete the games and get to ToB, you can actually recruit Sarevok into your party in ToB, which is rather interesting, to say the least. Considering that he is your brother (or half-brother, as the protagonist quite often prefers to state), it's kinda like a little family reunion all in one party. He'll frequently remind you that you're his brother (or sister, depending on the protagonist's sex), and do all kinds of nostalgic things. He mentions Baldur's Gate quite often.

ToB also explains a great deal about your past. It explains the relationship between yourself, Sarevok, and the other Children of Bhaal (just as a little teaser, if you're a Good-aligned party, there's a VERY high chance that you have or have had a Bhaalspawn in your party the entire time, without your knowing it; Irenicus reveals just who this person is in SoA.) It even goes a little into Sarevok's mysterious past, letting you know why he acted the way he did to you in Baldur's Gate. It also explains why he was so... unhappy... with Gorion.

Now then, to get on the the REAL point of my "little" post.

When you talked about actual roleplaying, Pete, it sounded a lot like the AD&D-using games. Especially the whole "good vs. bad" bit. That's what the Alignment system is. I really REALLY like the Alignment system. It makes great sense in the game, but it can also be easily adapted to the real world. Kudos to TSR for devising such an efficient system. For those who don't know about it, it's really rather simple: there are three alignment types - Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic - and three alignment beliefs - Good, Neutral, and Evil - and which specific alignment class you choose - Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, and Chaotic Evil - has a large impact on what dialogue choices your character will have available, and how NPCs will react to him or her. Adding to this is the Reputation system. For every Good act your party does (such as freeing slaves or Raising an innocent man killed by a mugger), you will gain a Reputation point. The higher it goes, the more friendly people will act towards you, and you even receive special discounts at stores for being heroes (for instance, having the maximum Reputation rating of 20 earns you a FIFTY-PERCENT discount on all wares in every store). The lower it goes, the more hesistant people will be to speak to you, and if it goes too low (I believe it's 6 or below, to the minimum of 0), the town guards and other Good-aligned people (such as Paladins and Rangers) will actually attack you on sight. And, of course, low Rep. means higher prices (hell, NPCs won't even SELL you goods if your Rep. is really low).

I personally think that the Baldur's Gate series is much better than the Diablo series. BG represents true role-playing, while Diablo represents the common "dungeon crawl" format - lots of action, no story. Of course, this isn't entirely true for Diablo, since Buzzard did an EXCELLENT job creating an effective world and history for the game. Their only problem is that they failed to integrate it with the game effectively.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.

Messages In This Thread
Yet another D3 discussion - by Jeunemaitre - 02-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by --Pete - 02-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by NiteFox - 02-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by SwissMercenary - 02-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by Taeme - 02-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by Occhidiangela - 02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by Jarulf - 02-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Yet another D3 discussion - by MonTy - 02-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Yet another D3 discussion - by Jeunemaitre - 02-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by --Pete - 02-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Yet another D3 discussion - by --Pete - 02-21-2003, 05:01 PM