Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines?
Quote:If a Hidden Shrine is found in the very first game of the very first level that you enter of Diablo, chances are the shrine seed is NOT random and should be L-A-R-H.

Definitely not random. But my sample size was too small to say if you have a microscopic chance of NOT getting LARH under this condition.

Quote:By entering further levels or further games, the shrine seed (_whatever_ it is) has a chance of 1 in 20 of actually changing.

Yep, but that 1:20 is a very wild guess, this might be off one order of magnitude or so (again, sample size was minimal).

Quote:I entered levels beyond dlevel one (where the Hidden Shrine was found) at least 40 times (32 due to popping in and out of levels 1-16, 8 others due to losing a TP and having to walk 8 levels) and still the seed was exactly the same.

It doesn't matter how often you re-visit a particular level in a particular game, the total number of DIFFERENT levels does (i.e. going to just level 5 in 10 subsequent games is likely just as 'efficient' as visiting levels 5-14 in a single game). So in a single game you can have at most 16 chances for 'randomization'.
Also, all my tests were done in multiplayer - the game might behave differently in single player mode, I simply don't know.

Quote:I would assume that either you had a clockfreeze program or did the same as I

I frown upon using hacks in a game - I prefer to play it. :)
I had two PCs right next to each other (sync'd by a time server) and simply started games on each synchronously (AFAIK the 'game master seed' is identical when started within the same second) - eventually I managed to get a 'double' game where I found that having visited only level 8 'randomized' the hidden shrine in it (on level 1), while visiting all levels EXCEPT 8 in its 'twin' did not. I did tell you that my sample size was pretty small, right? :unsure:

Quote:1 in 20 times? I would assume you ran the test at least a minimum of 400 times to be able to make this claim.

*ahem* Heh, I wouldn't have said 'WAG' then...
My goal was to find what's best to AVOID the non-random shrine seed bug, but I never wanted to define some (necessarily more or less artificial) 'rule' of how many different levels you'd have to visit before you may consider touching a Hidden Shrine 'sufficiently legit' - decide this for yourself.

Have Fun!

-Fin "The Legit"

Messages In This Thread
Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines? - by Finnan Haddie - 07-18-2003, 09:30 PM