More Reasons I Love BIS
Well, ever since I got into the Infinity Engine series of games (BG series, IWD series, Planescape: Torment), I have been a shameless Black Isle Studios fanboy. Forced to choose between the two, I would take BIS over Buzzard. Sure, Buzzard is a GREAT company, but I just like BIS' games more than Buzzard's. Of course, everyone knows Starcraft is the best RTS ever made (I have not played War3 for more than about 30 minutes, so I cannot render a verdict on War3), but that is beside the point.

I recently snagged one of those two-games-in-one bargain bin deals (I got Torment that way, too) when I was at Best Buy to pick up a GBA-to-GCN cable (I have a GBA and Metroid Fusion, along with my GCN and Prime, among other games - I cannot wait to see Samus' Fusion suit in full 3D!), which contained both Fallout and Fallout 2. I had heard that they were excellent games in their prime, and I thought it a good chance to pick up both games for a paltry $10 since I missed them when they were in the limelight. Turns out Fallout is a GREAT game, and I think I am about halfway through Fallout 2. I was a little turned off by the turn-based combat system at first, but now that I have adjusted to it, it feels very natural. More natural than even the Infinity Engine's combat system. Now, comparing turn-based to real-time might be considered comparing apples to oranges, but fruit is fruit, right?

Fallout seemed a bit easy to me (ESPECIALLY after you get the Hardened Power Armor and Turbo Plasma Rifle - I charged both the mutant base and the cathedral and didn't even have to use more than a few stimpacks), but thankfully, Fallout 2 satisfies my want for a challenge. A noticeable difference between the two is that in FO2, enemies do not drop their armor (at least, they did not for me) after death. This makes a huge difference in the early-game, especially when you are fighting those random-encounter raiders and slavers who use "advanced" weaponry and armor like Leather Armor and Flamers when you are running around with a Leather Jacket and rinky-dinky 10mm handguns. Of course, now I use Metal Armor Mark II and one of those oh-so-good .223 pistols, so it is a little more even now (considering the NPC AI is practically brain-dead - Sulik uses a Sledgehammer over a Submachine Gun, and when he DOES use the SMG, he basically bursts every single attack.)

If any of you have deprived yourself of these two excellent RPGs, I suggest you run to your nearest Best Buy or similar store, and search the bargain bin (or bargain shelves, in my case) for these gems. They are a nice break from Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II, at any rate.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.

Messages In This Thread
More Reasons I Love BIS - by Artega - 03-10-2003, 11:05 PM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by Mithrandir - 03-11-2003, 02:55 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by bschultz - 03-11-2003, 04:03 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by loonygloss - 03-11-2003, 04:43 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by Roland - 03-11-2003, 05:09 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by The Luminaire - 03-11-2003, 06:55 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by [wcip]Angel - 03-11-2003, 07:41 AM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by Roland - 03-11-2003, 08:02 PM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by [wcip]Angel - 03-11-2003, 08:53 PM
More Reasons I Love BIS - by Guest - 03-13-2003, 05:18 AM