Shoju's "Guaranteed to tank heroics" Gear Set. Thought I would share.
So, I'm getting ready to raid, What can I do to make sure that I'm as prepared as possible?

Well, I'm back! And I have hopefully another good list for you. This list will contain 346 gear, 359 gear, BoE gear, Rep Gear, Anything that will help you be ready to walk in and tank your raids. I'm going to try and shy away from PvP gear. I'm not a fan of using PvP gear in PvE, but there are a couple of pieces that can work for you.

Helm

• Grinning Fang Helm Revered: Dragonmaw Clan. **This is still the Helm to shoot for. It is the best of the blues, and it doesn't waste itemization on strength. As a Paladin, Strength comes in behind Expertise (to 26), Hit (to cap), and Expertise to Parry Cap, in that order as far as threat is concerned.
  • Headcover of Fog - Parry and Hit. Still an avoidance + threat piece. It might be a viable alternative if your plate tanking class wants hit over expertise. Drops from Grand Vizier Ertan in H:VP
  • Helm of Setesh - Same stats makeup as the Rep Helm, but it wastes itemization on str. Drops from Setesh in H:HoO.

If you happen to be an Engineer, you should Be working to craft Wonka Vision. The Cogs are worth more itemization than the green stats on a normal helm, so the trade of is no non-meta socket, but you can pick the 2 stats you want, and you get more of them.

Shoulders

• Sunburnt Pauldrons 1650 Justice Points.
  • Earthshape Pauldrons If you don't have the sunburnt pauldrons, or you are truly trying to min/max your gear, should be better for just about every tank class that can use them. Unfortunately, they drop from Dragha Shadowburner, which is a tough boss for most pugs to get down. If you are going after these, Guild Runs would be a safe way to get them.
  • Raz's Pauldrons. They are ok, and probably on par with the Sunburnt in terms of quality.
  • Heaving Plates of Protection are a trash drop from Bastion of Twilight
  • Pauldrons of Edward the Odd are a BoE World drop.

Chest

I would use either Blue that I could get first. One is Parry, one is Dodge. Chances are you will be reforging the one to the other to lessen the DR hit that your ratings take.

Bracers

If I had to choose a set of these to use of the blue bracers instead of the Rep Bracers, I would pick the Alpha Bracers or Terborus's. They have mastery, and you can reforge some of the hit into avoidance, AND they have a socket. I like everything about them. I have a set of Alpha Bracers that I swap to in heavy physical Damage Situations over the Rep Bracers.

Gloves

Yes, the mastery gloves do overemphasize Str as a threat stat. Mastery is still that good, and diminishing returns suck that hard that I wouldn't take them. You will get the best CTC for your money out of the mastery gloves.

Belt

Legs:

None of your available pre-raiding legs have Mastery. Not even the T11 legs (for paladins) have mastery. Your Options are

Feet:

• Boots of Sullen Rock - Exalted: Dragonmaw Clan You will be getting these boots as fast as you possibly can. They are fantastic, and stack up with raiding drops incredibly well. Honestly, don't even bother with the drop boots unless you use them as a stepping stone to these. I don't know if I would bother with them even then.
  • Baron Silverlaine's Greaves - Baron Silverlaine: H:SFK

Cloak:

Rings:

For me, Personally I wear the Ring of Three Lights, and the Felsen's Ring. These are all options, but i would HONESTLY stick to mastery. I can't say this enough. The Signet, is technically an AGI DPS ring, but it has high stamina, the AGI translates to just ~.5% of dodge, and the DPS stat can be reforged into more dodge or parry. This ring is seeing use by a lot of paladin tanks who have the rep for it. I'm unsure how warriors and DK's feel about it.

Neck:

Again with necks, the name of the game is Mastery. I personally lucked out and have the Carrier Wave pendant.

Relic:

The Stalagmite wins, because it is avoidance + Mastery off the bat, but using the Notched isn't horrid, and you shouldn't feel bad if you crafted it.

Trinkets:

So many trinkets, So many Choices. I prefer to run with 1 stam, 1 mastery trinket, and I double up Mastery trinkets on heavy physical fights. Tia's Grace, is a FANTASTIC trinket. The AGI on it translates into ~1% dodge, and the stack was up at full strength on my last Halfus kill for 96.82% of the duration of the fight. I didn't even lose the stack during Furious Roar.

Weapon:

For the Death Knight Tanks who might be reading this.
Shields:

I list these in the order that I would use them. The primordial mount is really a poor shield.

Enchants

Gems:

I hope this list helps. I plan on fleshing out some more reasons on why I chose what I did in the coming days, but, I wanted to get this up for people.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shoju's "Guaranteed to tank heroics" Gear Set. Thought I would share. - by shoju - 02-18-2011, 09:01 PM