Why I think it is challenging for the government to ration our care.
(01-19-2017, 01:42 PM)Jester Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 12:15 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Compromise includes removing items from the body, or editing things that are objectionable. The first compromise both need to make is to agree that you will be building Frankenstein together.

There is no universally applicable rule of compromise. Whose interests are compromised upon, and in what proportions (what even *is* a proportion)? How does that map onto the infinite space of possible policy? Bargaining theory is maddeningly complicated, and the policies that are being bargained over are doubly so.

I mean, I object to Brexit. How does that help? Do I get Brexit removed from the foreign policy of the UK, because I object, and therefore it is objectionable? Do I get half-Brexit (or 52% Brexit)? What if a policy isn't really amenable to degrees, there is no "middle" to push a bit one way or another? That both me and my pro-Brexit compatriots agree that we are Frankensteining together a foreign policy for the UK does not really solve any of the outstanding problems...

-Jester
Sure. There are some things that are (best) one way or the other. You maybe are either governed by Brussels, and the EU laws or not. There are many Frankensteinian unholy compromises that might have been to allow for a hybrid where Scotland, who predominantly voted to remain might have remained under both EU and Commonwealth. You might have some EU autonomous zones. Say Lambeth, Hacknet, Foyle, Haringey... Gibraltar... It is certainly complicated to negotiate overlaps in governance.

We seem to be able to allow for Native Americans to have tribal sovereignty over their lands, while being within many counties, in part of the State, and part of the Federal government.

(01-19-2017, 05:43 PM)Ashock Wrote: How do you talk to the opposing side if this is what they write and think about?
What % of the D's in Congress do you think would support assassination? How about people in the US?

Reference: This is not a new phenomena.

The "opposing side" is not a monolithic Borg-like intelligence. There are a few reasonable, peaceful, liberals, who may be willing to negotiate.

[Image: negotiation_school_by_katerlin-d3lft09.jpg]
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I think it is challenging for the government to ration our care. - by kandrathe - 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM