Moral Panic — from anti-commie to anti-nazi
(09-30-2017, 12:40 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Well, first off, Asian people might be better off economically, but they just suffer racism in different forms. I mean, they're one of the few remaining people where it's still okay to make fun of, and used in the model minority paradigm to justify racism against other races "eg, Asians can do it, so can you", thus fitting in the "divide and conquer" strategy they use against minorities as a whole. You keep the poor fighting and hating each other over scraps, and you keep them under control.

Secondly, it would be interesting to look at Asian immigrants (which do bring a lot of wealth and tradition over) vs African immigrants to control for a few things.

Finally, while Asians have dealt with much discrimination, they also haven't had an entire society attempt to destroy them socially and culturally through years of Jim Crow, preventing slaves from reading, portray them as beastly and anti-intellectual and generally taking a dump on anything cultural black people could call their own. And of course a drug war in a nation that loves imprisonment, destroying their families and communities. Nixon wanted to destroy black people along with the poor, and he sure did a great job.

Though I take that back a little. Japan did try to destroy other Asian countries in that manner in their brief reign of terror. And of course, all the western countries did during imperialism. Not exactly good role models.

None of this is of any use to taem. But was it really racially motivated, or was it morally bankrupt people trying to abuse their position as customers against someone at their job? I'm sure someone around here should see it as oppression of a certain other kind.
The early Chinese immigrants were pretty much slave labor. The Japanese were pretty badly treated during and after WW II. As you are referring to African Americans, I’d never deny that those descended from former slaves didn’t have a steep mountain to overcome, and many have. “...taking a dump on anything cultural black people could call their own.” I’m not sure how Jazz, Blues, Rock, and Rap , and other arts fit that narrative, nor does their prominence in athleticism.

In my prior software consulting days, pre-2007, I ran a large portion of a high tech practice, we sent recruiters to large cities around the world, especially Southern Africa, Eastern Europe, Philippines, Mumbai, Seoul, and Dublin. I’ve made many friends around the world and helped them acclimate and emigrate here if that was their plan.

Yeah, I am the Donald’s immigration nightmare, filling those high paying tech jobs with highly qualified foreigners who are thrilled to try the adventure, or want to become new citizens. I understand the advantages of a borderless global economy.

The observation I would make from my friends is that yes, they do face discrimination, but good people here have their backs too, to help them succeed. Back in their countries of origin, they also faced discrimination and opportunity barriers, racial, gender, class, etc - things that mostly disappeared once they came here. Like the news, we tend to choose to focus on the bad, and ignore the good. There are flaws, but there are many more good people, and goodness in the US.

Now in my current job, every day I work with a brilliant tech analyst who emigrated from Kenya with his family when he was ten. His dad was a warehouse manager for a multi-national company and came with only with the good will of an American family that befriended and sponsored them. Now as first gen citizens, that dad, mom, his son (the one I work with) and 3 daughters are all college graduates.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moral Panic — from anti-commie to anti-nazi - by kandrathe - 09-30-2017, 05:21 AM