[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans
So we see people getting frustrated that they feel left out. I thought I would offer a few tips which might help you if you are in this situation. I think the officers/raid leaders/strong personalities are firmly in the camp of getting people included, especially those who get fewer opportunities. But sometimes the wrong message might get sent.

First, a little background. We're big enough on Terenas that people are rarely "needed". We have plenty of tanks, healers, and DPS. I, for example, am no longer one of just a few main healers. There are many people that can replace me. I believe the same is true for everyone now. We typically have at least 3 runs per evening (maybe a bit less now with regular Karazhan raiding going on).

So let me set the stage. Let's assume that someone has done the cattle call while you are onilne:

"Hey, who wants to run something? I was thinking Arcatraz for a shot at my XXX"

Let's also assume that you want to go and you have time. Normally there are more people around who are available for the run than can fit.

Things You Should Say If You Want To Go
  • I want to go.<>
  • Ooh, ooh, me, me.<>
  • I would like to go, I need Sha'tar rep.<>
  • I would love a chance at the XXX dropping.<>
  • That sounds like fun.<>
    [st]All of these indicate your desire to go. If you add a reason, such as rep or items you need, that adds strength to your argument too.

Things You Should NOT Say If You Want To Go
    • I'm available.<>
    • I'm available if you need me.<>
    • I could help if you want.<>
      [st]What all of these things mean, at least in the eye of the person who made the call, is that you are available. You'll move to the back of the list and will only get an invite if you're needed, i.e. they can't get a full five without you.

Now that isn't a bad thing if that is the effect you want. This is often what I say, and what GG says a lot. This is because I like to be helpful and help people get their stuff (as are most people in the guild). Sometimes it is against my better judgment (i.e. I should go to bed), but this means what it says above -- you're available. It doesn't indicate that you will be disappointed if you don't go. In fact, it may sometimes even carry a connotation that you might be a little relieved if you aren't needed.

If you want to go, the best way is to indicate that yes, you'll be disappointed if you don't get a spot. Does that guarantee you'll get in? No, but it does mean that in the decision process you aren't automatically assumed to be only going along to help, and therefore at the back of the line. The more strongly you want to go, the more strongly you should indicate that. For example, I've been clamoring for heroics for a couple of weeks now. Have I been getting them? No. But... when one comes up, people know that I probably want to go.

The person making the cattle call (odds are it's Jester, Necrali, Swirly, Dunar, or RTM it seems right now) wants to get a group and get going. It makes things easier if he knows who needs it, who just wants it, and who just is willing to help if needed. I think we're very inclusive, but given the supply and demand, if you even hint that it's no big deal for you to sit, then it's likely you will sit. If ya wanna go, ya gotta say so!

I think we see people saying "I'll come if you need me" when really they mean "I really want to come."

Just a thought. I can add other people's ideas to this post too relating to this subject.

Another post later, or maybe an addendum, could be "How To Get A Guild 5-Man Organized" which is a related topic.

Messages In This Thread
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by vor_lord - 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Kevin - 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Jester - 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Alram - 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Treesh - 04-27-2007, 10:30 AM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Treesh - 04-27-2007, 10:31 AM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by q4m - 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Melekal - 04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Sinomin - 04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by Melekal - 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
[Terenas] How to Get in Guild 5 Mans - by swirly - 05-11-2007, 06:39 AM