Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote:Then keep your soldiers at home, fine! The problems comes when you want to use said political organisations yourself to get others to comply but ignore it yourself. It is never good to have a "it applies to everyone else but not us" attitude. It will errode the whole system/concept. If you don't like them, ignore them completely then, but don't come demand that others should follow them when it suits you.
Jarulf, the US generally expects governments to try their own soldiers/persons for crimes they commit. I guess it is expecting too much to ask of most governments. Most places aren't like Sweden or France, where you or I could expect an accounting if their soldiers violate the laws. Why? Like the US, these nations tend to honor their treaties.

As to "keep your soldiers at home" there are two answers to that.

1. Too late, they left home to end a war the Europeans started (in 1939) and the situation at the end was such that they couldn't come home right away. Since then, global security and stability has been underwritten, for 60 years, by the presence of US troops all over the globe.

2. There are a lot of Americans who agree with you, that we should return to our shell and let the rest of the world go to hell in a handbasket. I think that is an unrealistic position, but it is an old political line, since about 1914, in the US. A goodly number of those who take that line are serious American Nordics, and White Nationalists.:PBlah.

While I understand your position, I think it ignores how we ( the world) got to where we are today. Or maybe you'd rather speak Russian. :D ( I only know a few words of Russian)

America kept its troops at home for Bosnia in 1992.

A lot of good that did.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by Occhidiangela - 09-25-2006, 10:01 PM