Equilibrium is the best movie you've never seen
Quote:I keep trying to find this, but I can't. I'm not going to rent it, I'm buying it. I will not relent!
Rented the movie last night on the recommendation of Lurkers.

My daughter picked up on the similarity in theme with Farenheit 451. Of course, the "fireman turns rebel" is also a 451 theme. My wife found it extremely tiresome and left the room, as she finds SFX gunfights, Kung Fu movies, and gratuitous action less appealing with each passing year.

I found it heavy on "faux martal arts" and light on plot. Short answer: formulaic dystopian sci fi. I still enjoyed it. I sat there, hoping they'd do something novel with the film before the end since it was so well received by a smart audience. (Lurkers) It never arrived, though cutting off Ty Diggs' face was a neat idea.

Equilibrium was worth a look, so thanks for the recommendation I am glad folks are keeping the dystopian genre alive. I would rather have seen a bit more character development and a bit less arcade fighting re-enactment. I also would have liked to see a lot less emotion from Ty Digg's character, who is supposedly still taking his feelings supression drugs. I did like the "oh sh--" when th tech sees Preston's polygraph go stable, as he realizes what that means. Nice touch.

My son asked: If he (the Cleric John Preston) didn't have feelings, how did he and his wife have kids? My son sort of put his finger on it, didn't he? :)

A comic book put to film, with a thin story.

Puppy scenes were great, as was the moment John Preston realized his son had been sandbagging him for most of the film. :) I wonder if his name was chosen as a veiled reference to Prester John .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Equilibrium is the best movie you've never seen - by Occhidiangela - 08-13-2006, 03:11 PM