Who are the better action movie heroes today?
In the 80's and 90's, the best action films often starred either Stallone or Schwarzenegger. Honorable mentions go out to Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Claude Van Damme, and Mel Gibson.

I don't think there are any present-day film stars that just scream out "ACTION MOVIE" like the crop of the last two decades. This is not to say that more modern action films suck. I'm just wondering why there aren't any action movie superstars like Stallone or Schwarzenegger.

Off the top of my head, there are three guys that I really think could be the next Rambo or Terminator. They just don't seem to be doing enough action movies though.

The Rock
Physically he is ideal. He is a well-sculpted god of a man. His background in wrestling gives him passable acting ability and very good stunt skills. I kinda liked him in The Scorpion King, but the Doom movie wasn't all that great. I really believe that with the right movie script, The Rock could be the next Arnold, only with way more charisma.

Vin Diesel
Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, and The Fast and the Furious were very entertaining films for an action movie fan. Vin Diesel stole the show in all of them. His low-pitched raspy monotone voice is a nice throwback to Clint Eastwood. Hearing him utter threats with that voice to bad guys is great. Physically he's not quite as imposing as The Rock, but he's still a very well put together man. I was kinda disappointed with him when he did The Pacifier. ACTION MOVIE HEROES DO NOT DO KID'S FILMS UNTIL THEY ARE OVER THE HILL! I dearly hope that Vin Diesel does more Riddick films.

Jason Stratham
The Transporter. He was also in Snatch. I don't know what else to say about this guy other than he has got an awesome acting style that just screams out "HELL YEAH!" when he's preparing to kick movie villians' arses.

(I just realised that all three guys shave their heads. Coincidence?)

Are there any other actors that you would like to see monopolize the Action Movie market? I know that I've left some well-deserving females off my list (Milla Jovovich), but I just cannot envision any of them as an enduring action movie icon.

Opinions?

Messages In This Thread
Who are the better action movie heroes today? - by DeeBye - 12-31-2005, 07:00 AM
Who are the better action movie heroes today? - by Guest - 12-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Who are the better action movie heroes today? - by Guest - 01-02-2006, 05:11 AM