Who are the better action movie heroes today?
In the 80's and 90's, the best action films often starred either Stallone or Schwarzenegger. Honorable mentions go out to Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Claude Van Damme, and Mel Gibson.

I don't think there are any present-day film stars that just scream out "ACTION MOVIE" like the crop of the last two decades. This is not to say that more modern action films suck. I'm just wondering why there aren't any action movie superstars like Stallone or Schwarzenegger.

Off the top of my head, there are three guys that I really think could be the next Rambo or Terminator. They just don't seem to be doing enough action movies though.

The Rock
Physically he is ideal. He is a well-sculpted god of a man. His background in wrestling gives him passable acting ability and very good stunt skills. I kinda liked him in The Scorpion King, but the Doom movie wasn't all that great. I really believe that with the right movie script, The Rock could be the next Arnold, only with way more charisma.

Vin Diesel
Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, and The Fast and the Furious were very entertaining films for an action movie fan. Vin Diesel stole the show in all of them. His low-pitched raspy monotone voice is a nice throwback to Clint Eastwood. Hearing him utter threats with that voice to bad guys is great. Physically he's not quite as imposing as The Rock, but he's still a very well put together man. I was kinda disappointed with him when he did The Pacifier. ACTION MOVIE HEROES DO NOT DO KID'S FILMS UNTIL THEY ARE OVER THE HILL! I dearly hope that Vin Diesel does more Riddick films.

Jason Stratham
The Transporter. He was also in Snatch. I don't know what else to say about this guy other than he has got an awesome acting style that just screams out "HELL YEAH!" when he's preparing to kick movie villians' arses.

(I just realised that all three guys shave their heads. Coincidence?)

Are there any other actors that you would like to see monopolize the Action Movie market? I know that I've left some well-deserving females off my list (Milla Jovovich), but I just cannot envision any of them as an enduring action movie icon.

Opinions?
The Rock and Vin Diesel are the only ones that come to mind on this very early Saturday morning. I've never seen any Jason Stratham movies but I know who he is.

The Rock is, in my opinion, the best pick between him and Vin Diesel. I think his acting is beyond passable which I really first noticed in The Rundown. His character was beyond just "Me Hulk, me smash!" which I think added to the movie. Vin Diesel seems to me less of an actor but he has more prescence (which may because he's a better actor :huh:). He has the ability to be darker (like in Pitch Black). I haven't seen Chronicles but if he's anything like he is in Pitch Black - I'm sure I'll like his character. Didn't see The Pacifier (although it seems like a bad career choice) and Triple X was meh.

I'll try and think of something to actually contribue to the thread :P
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
ima_nerd,Dec 31 2005, 03:12 AM Wrote:Vin Diesel seems to me less of an actor but he has more prescence (which may because he's a better actor :huh:). He has the ability to be darker (like in Pitch Black). I haven't seen Chronicles but if he's anything like he is in Pitch Black - I'm sure I'll like his character. Didn't see The Pacifier (although it seems like a bad career choice) and Triple X was meh.
[right][snapback]98380[/snapback][/right]

If you liked Vin Diesel in Pitch Black you must see The Chronicles of Riddick right this very minute. He's every bit as dark and kicks more ass than a multi-legged ass-kicking robot with the default setting of "kick ass".

I agree with you on the "bad career choice" thing for The Pacifier. Unless Disney drove a dump truck to his home with a pile of $$$, I don't get why he would do this movie.

edit: go watch Iron Giant. It's an animated kids film featuring Vin Diesel as the voice of the giant robot. It was also created by Brad Bird, who later did The Incredibles.
Orlando Bloom to a certain extent fits the bill. "Pirates," "LotR," "Troy," maybe a couple others. Although, in that light, Hugh Jackman, with his "X-Men," "Swordfish" and rumors of being the next Bond credentials, might also.

You're right though, there aren't any real action heroes anymore. Movies are more about gimicks now than the good old fashioned "me fight, me kill" of the older generation.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Like four mentions of the Rock and no mention of The Rundown? He really surprised me in that film w/ his acting ability. Plus, it has teh walken. B)

Props to DeeDee for mentioning Iron Giant. He gets by far the best line in the film. Watch it, and you'll know which one I'm talking about.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
It's also keen to note that many action-oriented films of today feature actresses in the kicking-of-the-arse roles. More so than in the past.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Stallone? He was successful but I think most people feel Gibson made better action movies, and quite a few of them. I also think Eastwood towers over Stallone as a tough guy, allthough he was really from another era.

I dont think anyone currently fits the bill. Although Hugh Jackman could if he chooses to keep making action movies after his Wolverine mocie.

EDIT: And you didnt even mention Bruce Willis(with the old group.)
While perhaps this is a slightly different concept, Nathan Fillion (Serenity) is the successor to Harrisson Ford in that adventure-comedy-action type.

-Jester
If you'll allow me to lump action movies and martial arts movies into the same category, then Jet Li is my current favorite. He's working on his last movie right now though, destined to be released sometime in 06. If anyone gets the chance to see Danny the Dog (aka Unleashed), I highly recommend it!
The error occurred on line -1.
This generation of kids who have been brainwashed into killing machines by videogame and media violence really need to show their colors and start making some violent movies like their parents did.
The error occurred on line -1.
Yeah. Kill Bill scores one for the ladies, and for ultra polite Japanese schoolgirls in uniforms.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
GenericKen,Dec 31 2005, 03:31 AM Wrote:Like four mentions of the Rock and no mention of The Rundown?
Me Wrote:I think his acting is beyond passable which I really first noticed in The Rundown.

:whistling:

Kill Bill was an excellent duo/series/whatever of movies that really fit the action/martial arts genre. Although, they had powerful emotional appeal which sets them apart from older movies of the same type.

Movies today aren't like the action movies of yore, they seem to be less muscle and more brains as far as the heroes are concerned. I actually can't even think of a good action movie that I've seen in the past 1-2 years with the exception of The Rundown.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
ima_nerd,Dec 31 2005, 07:07 PM Wrote:
Me Wrote:I think his acting is beyond passable which I really first noticed in The Rundown.

:whistling:

Kill Bill was an excellent duo/series/whatever of movies that really fit the action/martial arts genre. Although, they had powerful emotional appeal which sets them apart from older movies of the same type.

Movies today aren't like the action movies of yore, they seem to be less muscle and more brains as far as the heroes are concerned. I actually can't even think of a good action movie that I've seen in the past 1-2 years with the exception of The Rundown.
[right][snapback]98429[/snapback][/right]

The Incredibles.

One damn good action movie, with elements of good action movies spanning from the 50s to the modern day. On first watching, I was like "That's not half bad." Second watching "Huh? Check that out in the background."

And after many watchings, "Hey, that's brilliant."

It works with cartoons better than real life heros because there is no baggage. You don't see Arnie and go "Oh great another generic Arnie feature."
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 31 2005, 07:13 PM Wrote:The Incredibles.
[right][snapback]98431[/snapback][/right]

Yes! I had forgotten about that. It was top notch and I'm looking forward to the oh-so-obvious sequel whenever it comes out.
Jester,Dec 31 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:While perhaps this is a slightly different concept, Nathan Fillion (Serenity) is the successor to Harrisson Ford in that adventure-comedy-action type.

-Jester
[right][snapback]98425[/snapback][/right]

I agree completely.
WWBBD?
I see this thread's offering of "Kill Bill", counter with a "Tarantino sucks, if I have to sit through another #$%&ty monologue I'm going to kill someone" and raise with The Rock is the best actor of the mentioned three, Vin Diesel has the best video game based on any action movie, ever, and Jason Stratham is the best fighter in movies, right now.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Dec 31 2005, 09:35 PM Wrote:I see this thread's offering of  "Kill Bill", counter with a "Tarantino sucks, if I have to sit through another #$%&ty monologue I'm going to kill someone" and raise with The Rock is the best actor of the mentioned three, Vin Diesel has the best video game based on any action movie, ever, and Jason Stratham is the best fighter in movies, right now.
[right][snapback]98438[/snapback][/right]

BOLLOCKS!

The Bride would totally kick the Rock's sorry ass all over the place. :w00t:

I saw that Standing Tall with the Rock. It suxxor big time. He can not act. He is the Rock in every film he plays. And Johnny Knoxville is an annoying punk ass prick. He was funny in Jackass, but he is not a good actor, he's little more than a comedic prop.

And Tarantino does not suck. He has made some of the best movies in the modern age. Pulp Fiction is a fine film. Reservoir dogs was beautiful. His work as a writer in Natural Born Killers was sheer genious.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 31 2005, 07:15 PM Wrote:BOLLOCKS!

The Bride would totally kick the Rock's sorry ass all over the place. :w00t:

I saw that Standing Tall with the Rock. It suxxor big time. He can not act. He is the Rock in every film he plays.

Of the three mentioned above, the Rock is the best.

Quote:And Johnny Knoxville is an annoying punk ass prick. He was funny in Jackass, but he is not a good actor, he's little more than a comedic prop.

Johnny Knoxville? How the hell did he get into this thread?

Quote:And Tarantino does not suck. He has made some of the best movies in the modern age. Pulp Fiction is a fine film. Reservoir dogs was beautiful. His work as a writer in Natural Born Killers was sheer genious.
[right][snapback]98439[/snapback][/right]

If Tarantino had made one movie and then vanished off the face of the earth, it would have been a brilliant flick. Unfortunately, he didn't.

They're all the same film. It's like watching a James Bond movie. Massive déjà vu.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Dec 31 2005, 11:28 PM Wrote:Of the three mentioned above, the Rock is the best.
Johnny Knoxville? How the hell did he get into this thread?
If Tarantino had made one movie and then vanished off the face of the earth, it would have been a brilliant flick. Unfortunately, he didn't.

They're all the same film. It's like watching a James Bond movie. Massive déjà vu.
[right][snapback]98447[/snapback][/right]

Johnny Knoxville is becoming the hawt new action hero. He's been in a suprising number of films.

I had the terrible misfortune of watching the Dukes of Hazzard with Knoxville. And Standing Tall. In one night.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Zippyy,Dec 31 2005, 06:55 PM Wrote:If you'll allow me to lump action movies and martial arts movies into the same category, then Jet Li is my current favorite.  He's working on his last movie right now though, destined to be released sometime in 06.  If anyone gets the chance to see Danny the Dog (aka Unleashed), I highly recommend it!
[right][snapback]98426[/snapback][/right]

I was never a big Jet Li fan until I watched Danny the Dog. It was a hugely underrated action film that everyone should go see. Of course, with a supporting cast consisting of Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman it's hard to go wrong.