Who are the better action movie heroes today?
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 31 2005, 04:23 PM Wrote:It's also keen to note that many action-oriented films of today feature actresses in the kicking-of-the-arse roles. More so than in the past.
[right][snapback]98420[/snapback][/right]

There have been a lot of pretty decent films starring females as the main ass kickers. Resident Evil, Serenity, Aeon Flux, and Underworld were all highly watchable and I'd like to see more films like them. Of course, we can't mention female ass-kickers in a thread like this without giving props to Sigourney Weaver aka "Ripley".
DeeBye,Jan 1 2006, 12:10 AM Wrote:There have been a lot of pretty decent films starring females as the main ass kickers.  Resident Evil, Serenity, Aeon Flux, and Underworld were all highly watchable and I'd like to see more films like them.  Of course, we can't mention female ass-kickers in a thread like this without giving props to Sigourney Weaver aka "Ripley".
[right][snapback]98452[/snapback][/right]

Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor.

She endured BRUTAL Navy seal work outs for several weeks to be fit enough to play TII. Some Navy seal instructors got ahold of her and whipped her in to shape.

Happy New Years.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Dec 31 2005, 05:45 PM Wrote:Stallone? He was successful but I think most people feel Gibson made better action movies, and quite a few of them. I also think Eastwood towers over Stallone as a tough guy, allthough he was really from another era.
[right][snapback]98423[/snapback][/right]

Stallone and Arnold were the two main action guys in my book. Rambo and Commando. Rocky and Terminator. Cobra and the guy who kills Predator.

Gibson is certainly a worthy mention though. My all-time favourite action movie is probably The Road Warrior and I really hope this happens.

Ghostiger,Dec 31 2005, 05:45 PM Wrote:EDIT: And you didnt even mention Bruce Willis(with the old group.)
[right][snapback]98423[/snapback][/right]

Definitely an oversight on my part. Thanks for including him :)
Oh #$%& me... How could I forget?

STEVE MCQUEEN!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jan 1 2006, 01:19 AM Wrote:Oh #$%& me... How could I forget?

STEVE MCQUEEN!
[right][snapback]98455[/snapback][/right]

Charles Bronson.

And Steve McQueen is sooo 1960's you Methuselah.
[Image: jump.jpg]

Steve McQueen inspired me to be a better driver.

I no longer have a license or own a car. It's probably for the best. :rolleyes:
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Speaking of paragons of virtue, anyone catch the 2005 time person of the year?

[spoiler]They split it between Bono and Bill Gates & his wife. Have they ever done a split like that before? Is it just me, or is that kinda sad?[/spoiler]
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Rinnhart,Dec 31 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:They're all the same film. It's like watching a James Bond movie. Massive déjà vu.
[right][snapback]98447[/snapback][/right]

I don't get it. I can't even see how Kill Bill I and Kill Bill II are the same movie. How are they the same (in any sense) as, say, Resevoir Dogs? And how is either of them like Pulp Fiction?

You can tell it's the same director. But you can almost always tell that, if the director is good.

Where is this supposed similarity?

-Jester
Jester,Dec 31 2005, 10:50 PM Wrote:While perhaps this is a slightly different concept, Nathan Fillion (Serenity) is the successor to Harrisson Ford in that adventure-comedy-action type.

-Jester
[right][snapback]98425[/snapback][/right]

I've heard this from several people (including Joss himself), and I agree. He's still an "unknown" in the great midst, but he's certainly making a name for himself. Perhaps one of the reasons he still hasn't hit his stride is because most people still think of him as "that guy on 'Two guys and a girl'." Still, time will tell. I wish him all the best.

----

Also, kudos to Deebye, for this fine, original thread :) I haven't seen this Jason chap in anything yet, so to me he's a non-contender. Also, the only thing I've seen of The Rock since his eyebrow-thing in the ring was "Be Cool" (Worst sequel ever to one of the funniest movies I've seen.) I didn't get a good enough impression to say anything about him as an actor or as an action hero.

Vin Diesel, on the other hand, have really surprised me. I'm not saying he's the best actor ever, but he's certainly made two great suspense/action-flicks (Pitch/Riddick), and I hope to see more of his character in the future. (I also played the game "Escape from Butcher's Bay" which was a surprisingly good game, although not up to par with the big FPSs such as Half Life 2) Although he's no Bruce Willis in terms of acting ability, he's got the chops as a superficial action hero.

PS: I'm greatly looking forward to "Hitman" (Vin Diesel) in 2007. Movies based on games and vice versa tend to suck balls, but I hope that both Hitman and the up-coming Silent Hill will break the trend.

Also, if they ever decide to make a movie out of God of War, we're gonna need a big, bulky, sinister-looking action hero to pull it off.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I've never really liked The Rock tbh... The Rundown has been his only movie that I could even say was mediocre, and that was due in large part of the strong supporting cast. Vin Diesel, on the other hand, is quite awesome. Pitch Black was a huge surprise - I went into the movie expecting nothing (I was just trying to kill an afternoon) and instead saw a damn fine movie. Chronicles of Riddick was a damn fine movie as well. Plus he was in Saving Private Ryan and did a good job despite having a minor role.

I have to give props to Jason Statham as well. Snatch and Transporter were awesome. I've never seen Transporter 2 or The Italian Job though :blush:

On a side note, Vin Diesel would have made an awesome Venom. How the hell did they not lock him down for that role? Oh well. *sigh*
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Jan 1 2006, 12:36 PM Wrote:I've never really liked The Rock tbh... The Rundown has been his only movie that I could even say was mediocre, and that was due in large part of the strong supporting cast. Vin Diesel, on the other hand, is quite awesome. Pitch Black was a huge surprise - I went into the movie expecting nothing (I was just trying to kill an afternoon) and instead saw a damn fine movie. Chronicles of Riddick was a damn fine movie as well. Plus he was in Saving Private Ryan and did a good job despite having a minor role.

I have to give props to Jason Statham as well. Snatch and Transporter were awesome. I've never seen Transporter 2 or The Italian Job though :blush:

On a side note, Vin Diesel would have made an awesome Venom. How the hell did they not lock him down for that role? Oh well. *sigh*
[right][snapback]98481[/snapback][/right]

I heard on the radio that Vin was in talks to be in one of the upcoming Marvel Comic Book movies.

But which one?

Which superhero does he represent?

I do agree he would do a fine job as Venom.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/648/648076p1.html

Based off that article, I'd say the best shot for Vin Diesel would be Captain America. Will Smith is rumored to be in line for Nick Fury. I'm only really familiar with Captain America and the Avengers on that list though, so I'm not really able to comment on Vin Diesel's ability to portray anyone else. Vin Diesel as Captain America seems like it could work.

Honestly though, Vin Diesel should have been Venom. I mean, Topher Grace? wtf.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Jan 1 2006, 04:19 PM Wrote:http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/648/648076p1.html

Based off that article, I'd say the best shot for Vin Diesel would be Captain America. Will Smith is rumored to be in line for Nick Fury. I'm only really familiar with Captain America and the Avengers on that list though, so I'm not really able to comment on Vin Diesel's ability to portray anyone else. Vin Diesel as Captain America seems like it could work.

Honestly though, Vin Diesel should have been Venom. I mean, Topher Grace? wtf.
[right][snapback]98489[/snapback][/right]

You know, I could see Vin making a pretty good Captain America actually. I believe he could pull it off.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
I dont think you were much a Steve Rogers fan. Captain America is the most cheerful well spoken and personable hero of all time. The stanard critism of the comic was that he had no dark side or demons.

Its not just the hair, nothing about Vin Deisel except his physique reminds me at all of Steve Rogers.
I think he could be various Super Heros, but Captain America is one of the worst fits.
Ghostiger,Jan 2 2006, 01:11 AM Wrote:I dont think you were much a Steve Rogers fan. Captain America is the most cheerful well spoken and personable hero of all time. The stanard critism of the comic was that he had no dark side or demons.

Its not just the hair, nothing about Vin Deisel except his physique reminds me at all of Steve Rogers.
I think he could be various Super Heros, but Captain America is one of the worst fits.
[right][snapback]98500[/snapback][/right]

I totally agree. Vin Diesel is no Captain America. He's not even close.

Also, I think that a Captain America film would flop. He is just too one dimensional. As you've already stated, he has no vices. Captain America might work for comics, but I don't see how he can translate into an enjoyable film. Think back to Cyclops in the X-Men films. He was a sucky character because he was too righteous. Captain America is like this only 100x worse.

I can't even think of a popular Hollywood actor that could pull off Captain America. Frankly, the only guys that come to mind are second rate WWE castoffs. Maybe the guy who plays Sawyer in Lost? I really don't know.

There's no one right now who could compare to action stars of the 80's/early 90's and earlier. Partially it is that there's simply nobody that good and partially it's that there really are not that many great action movies these days. Many actors do action movies, but there are very few dedicated "action" stars and they do not have much to work with.

Anyway, who needs action stars when we have "Brokeback Mountain"?

-A
Mithrandir,Jan 1 2006, 11:19 PM Wrote:I'm only really familiar with Captain America and the Avengers on that list though
[right][snapback]98489[/snapback][/right]
Black Panther, Ant Man and Hawkeye are all Avengers. :P

Jet-Li would fit Shang-Chi fairly well.

I could see Vin Diesel in the role of Cloak (Cloak & Dagger), not a perfect fit but he could play the part. He could not play the blond, blue eyed, patriotic Captain America though.

Dr. Strange would need someone who can sput off "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth" and still seem intelligent/powerful. The movie would(should) also be far less action oriented than the others.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Vin fits the physical build of Captian America.

Harrumph.

It's not like those kinds of movies have any sort of real acting in them.

Just look at the Fantastic Four. :whistling:

"IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!"
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
roguebanshee,Jan 2 2006, 02:30 PM Wrote:Black Panther, Ant Man and Hawkeye are all Avengers. :P
[right][snapback]98519[/snapback][/right]

Well not current members... The Avengers is Luke Cage, Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, and Wolverine right now.

*shrug*
--Mith

Jack London
Jester,Dec 31 2005, 04:50 PM Wrote:While perhaps this is a slightly different concept, Nathan Fillion (Serenity) is the successor to Harrisson Ford in that adventure-comedy-action type.

-Jester
[right][snapback]98425[/snapback][/right]
Malcolm Reynolds has the attraction of being a leader, albeit a flawed leader. Han Solo was naught but a hired gun and a smuggler. That they both smuggle and don't care for the government is in their favor, Reynolds is better written.

Big surprise. ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete