Trying hard to convince myself to buy a new comp
LochnarITB,Nov 15 2005, 08:22 PM Wrote:Thanks for pointing this out.  That sounds like a pretty nice machine.  I have a question about it too.  How do you like the WUXGA screen?  Do you run your desktop at the top resolution and, if so, do icons and labels become too small on it or is there a way to increase their size?  If you run it at a lower resolution, do things on the desktop get fuzzy from not being at the native resolution?  I was thinking about WSXGA because of the concern of the resolution being too high on the other.
[right][snapback]94977[/snapback][/right]
Sorry I didn't get back to this post for a bit, I've been really busy at work lately.

I run the screen at 1920x1200, including in WoW (it's awesome, since it gives you extra peripheral vision over what you get in-game with a 1600x1200 screen). Personally, I love the increased screen real-estate, and you can change your dps setting (actually, Dell changes it to 120, or "Large Fonts" when they ship it to you), which will make everything larger. I also used a registry edit to fix the way that the higher dps setting goofs around with pictures.

There are a couple of times when the screen size is a pain, like some internet sites that are graphics-heavy will only take up 1/2 of the screen. You can set up IE to "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages", but that's not always a good option (i.e. on the WoW official site, it makes the menu entries on the left so large that they overlap and aren't useable anymore), so I sometimes end up flipping it on and off. Also, the software that I use to connect to work runs in an 800x600 window, and isn't re-sizeable, so that's a pain on the larger screen, since my email is very small. But it keeps me from spending too much time doing work at home! :P

If you're unsure if you'll like the WUXGA, I'd say that the WSXGA is probably a better bet. You don't want to use the screen below its native resolution, it'll look bad. But I love the higher resolution, and wouldn't have bought a laptop that didn't have it.

Feel free to PM me, or bug me in-game if you have any more questions. Good luck with your decision!

Messages In This Thread
Trying hard to convince myself to buy a new comp - by martini - 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM