...might have to say goodbye to Lurkers on Tich :(
Skandranon,Apr 6 2005, 11:36 AM Wrote:I don't disagree with your point.  I think the PvP community is probably closer knit, but I don't think it's because the server changes the dynamic.  People who want PvP and who are inclined to that sense of unity head to PvP servers, while people who are generally apathetic to PvP head to PvE servers.
[right][snapback]73196[/snapback][/right]
I don't think it's a case of the people being different when they start - I think it's an issue of being trained. When people pick a PvP server, most people I see out there aren't hard core gamers and aren't sure what they're getting into. They see a horde or two on their way to 20, but at that point they haven't had the experience of being flagged PvP much.

Then the 20's hit. You walk through Duskwood and get crushed by a group of four horde waiting at the crossroads. You get upset. You walk through the Wetlands and someone unstealths behind you and ends your trip. You head up to Hillsbrad or STM and a group of Alliance see you and drop you. You discover PvP.

So you die. :( A lot. :angry: Sometimes four or five times in a row and sometimes it gets frustrating. And then you find yourself in Hillsbrad and you know there's a rogue out there who's six levels over you and someone from your side walks by doing the same quest and you team up and kill the rogue. And you smile. :blush: Or the Horde runs an attack against Darkshire and you and a pack of six or seven others team up and knock down a party of folks ten levels higher than you. And you break out in a grin. :P

On a PvP server, you have the experience of being lost and alone and dying for it. And you get the experience of having someone come along and save you. And that becomes an immediate and powerful lesson about forming bonds and working with your side to ensure your survival. The challenges on a PvP server are harder, the risks and stakes higher, and the emotional rewards similarly higher.

And sometimes you meet an opposing side person in the field and you dance with them anyway. PvP servers are chaos. If you can deal with that chaos, the experience is vastly more powerful. PvP servers kick a$$. :D

Messages In This Thread
...might have to say goodbye to Lurkers on Tich :( - by savaughn - 04-06-2005, 11:43 PM