Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines?
How I understand it, a shrine will only become ramdomly seeded when you enter a new level and there is something to change the seed from 0 (barrel, decapitated body, weapon/armor rack, chest, shrine) that spawns in the same absolute postition of the shrine. It this is correct, it is quite possible that out of the 16 dlvls that you entered, not one of them had a random fixture that spawned in the same tile as the shrine on level 1 existed. I am not sure exactly how large the dungleon layout is in actual dimensions (you can get an idea by using a secluded shrine), but there are always areas where dungeons don't even spawn. Based on the size on the layout and the relatively few fixtures that can actually randomize the seed, the probability of one of those spawned in the exact tile that the hidden shrine occupies is fairly small.

Also, from what I gather, you would visit a different dungeon level, such as dlvl 2, and return to one, THEN save the game and test from there. This of course would require you to reload the game a few times after visiting the other level. It is possible that when the game is reloaded, everything is once again initialized to 0 just as if the diablo session was closed and started again. This may have caused it to get set back to 0 and behave just as it had been. I say this because this is what happens to the monster count when you load a game. You notice that between multiplayer games however many monsters of a given type you have killed in one game gets transfered to the next and the game continues to count from that point. When you reload a single player game, however, the number of kills per enemy is overwritten with whatever value was saved with the SP file. For instance, kill 5 monsters with a SP game, save it, then kill more monsters in another muliplayer or new single player game. No matter how many you have killed, it will be replaced by 5 when you reload the original SP game. Perhaps something similar is happening with the initialization of the shrine.

I suggest beginning on level 1 and visiting every dungeon level in the same session and then checking the shrine (if you haven't already). It might also be a good idea to create several new games in a row just to visit many different levels to increase the percentage of tiles that have spawn with a random effect. It would be interesting to note if the second shrine followed the same order as the first.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!

Messages In This Thread
Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines? - by the Langolier - 07-16-2003, 01:38 AM