Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines?
Finnan, thanks. First let me see if I get what you are saying right.

If a Hidden Shrine is found in the very first game of the very first level that you enter of Diablo, chances are the shrine seed is NOT random and should be L-A-R-H.

By entering further levels or further games, the shrine seed (_whatever_ it is) has a chance of 1 in 20 of actually changing.

So far, did I get that right?

I ask because in the Single Player game I entered levels beyond dlevel one (where the Hidden Shrine was found) at least 40 times (32 due to popping in and out of levels 1-16, 8 others due to losing a TP and having to walk 8 levels) and still the seed was exactly the same. Admitted, the chances are 1 in twenty of a change, but with the seed proving to be so immutable in Single Player I am wondering . . . perhaps it is "set" (at game start) and unchangeable?

I would assume that either you had a clockfreeze program or did the same as I, entering a single player game and trying to affect the seed. Or you decompiled the entire program and analyzed that specific data. Which one was it?

Did you actually personally experience the shrine seed changing in the game? If multi, how was this possible without a clockfreeze program? If single, you repeated this test often enough to be able to state with assurance that it occurs 1 in 20 times? I would assume you ran the test at least a minimum of 400 times to be able to make this claim.

So, if I enter and exit dungeon levels at least 400 times (20 x 20) in my single player game, I stand a pretty darn good chance of changing the shrine seed on that level one Hidden Shrine? I'd be willing to try it. Should I save the game off-level or on-level one after each attempt? Will doing 20 level changes, saving the game, and then turning off the machine affect the results? (And if it does, how in the world did you run your test?)

Or did you simple decompile the code and analyze it? If you did that, then why is the 1:20 WAG necessary? The math involved should be self-evident. If you did decompile the program and discovered the code regarding Hidden Shrine seeds, could you share your results again?

Thanks a bunch.

Att

Messages In This Thread
Affecting the Seeding of Hidden Shrines? - by Attika - 07-18-2003, 06:58 PM