Someone convince me to buy Windows 8
Hi,

(11-01-2012, 04:27 PM)Frag Wrote: From the specifications you've listed I see no reason for you to upgrade *except* for the fact that XP is no longer going to be receiving security updates.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think XP will receive security upgrades until 2014.

Having said that, from a security perspective I strongly recommend leaving XP behind ASAP and upgrade to at least to Windows 7! Windows made a huge leap secuity-wise with Vista/7, and now again with 8. For people with common sense and at least basic technical skills, the chance of getting infected with malware got drastically reduced. I really didn't like Microsoft, but you really have to commend them for their efforts to secure their products and actively fight malware during the last couple of years.

But even though Windows 8 raised the bar for the bad guys even more compared to Windows 7 which already is good, I'm with shoju: I'd recommend waiting at least half a year, ideally until the first service pack or so, before upgrading to Windows 8. Not because it's only for tablets (it isn't, and from what I've read its GUI can easily be configured to behave just like Windows 7 on desktops with no Metro silliness), but because the millions of customers that immediately upgrade will act as testers and reveal lots of bugs.

Getting Windows 7 64-bit would be my recommendation.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Messages In This Thread
Someone convince me to buy Windows 8 - by DeeBye - 11-01-2012, 04:15 AM
RE: Someone convince me to buy Windows 8 - by Kylearan - 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM