Micro$haft's inevitable fall from grace!
(08-27-2013, 11:55 AM)Frag Wrote: I honestly can say I have no idea what the issue with the tablet interface is, or that people were that reliant on their start menus.

It's not the tablet interface, it's the -touch- tablet mode in a -non- touchscreen desktop that's causing beef with some people.

This isn't just a cosmetic issue, it can and does cause problems with some users.

And yes, some people do rely on the start menu. I'm fairly fluent in PC\Wintel boxes, but someone like my dad who's older, he does use the Start menu.

Again, it's the execution of W8. Superficially and at a glance, W8 looks like it would suit someone like my dad who doesn't care about computers, he only cares about what it can do for him. Ie: typing, browsing, no video games. Visually it looks to be more friendly for his aging eyes.

After trying it out myself (pre-service pack version, I reserve my judgement when the new SPack comes out), my personal conclusion is W 8 would be a nightmare for someone like him to use at this time.

I already wrote what my own reasons are for sticking with W7 for now.

Quote: I never use that screen for anything. If I do need to hop into the 'start' menu I just type a few letters of what I'm looking for and away I go. Is typing that big of a dealbreaker?

It's a little more than that. In an enterprise\business setting, yeah it can be. Not simply 'typing' something, but potentially re-training your sales staff on W8 'new and improved' functions can cost a company. Either in time, IT staff, monies.

Speaking for myself, I'm currently an independent contractor. Fancypants way of saying, I'm the IT dept. Tongue

And when I use my programs on my workstation, I really don't need the OS (figuratively speaking) to be an intrusive waiter who hovers for too long and starts singing happy birthday at random and unwanted intervals.

The last thing I need is for 'Pierre' to hover, or keep interrupting my conversation with my dining companion(s), or start getting persnickety if I want more than one entree at a time.

I'm not a comp tech guru, but I can believe that under the hood W8 is actually powerful and speedy. But again, it's the execution and the control interface that I personally think needs serious work. 0-60 in a millisecond is useless to me if the dashboard layout and steering sucks.

TL, DR:

What shoju said.

Quote:For me, it was the batshit insane slogfest that my graphics became when trying to use PS / AI / DW / FL on 8. I was fine to surf, I was fine to do other stuff. I was fine to PLAY GAMES.

But Adobe Suite? What I actually need to make money? It choked, sputtered, coughed, and died.

Messages In This Thread
The hulk was exposed! - by Taem - 07-04-2013, 01:14 AM
RE: Micro$haft's inevitable fall from grace! - by Hammerskjold - 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM