Awesome Games Done Quick 2016
(01-15-2016, 06:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I was just into D1 when D2 appeared. So, I never got that far into D1. It seemed the speed run is actually antithetical to "game play" in that the bulk of the time "played" was exploiting a dupe bug, exploiting the low health no stun lock on energy shield, avoiding most of the mobs to get to the end of game. The equivalent Chess game would be a checkmate 2 moves. It may be interesting one time, it too requires certain conditions (exploits), and not very fun for either player to repeat.

Kind of yes and kind of no. For the few people that run that category, they obviously find it worthwhile to do over and over again. It would be mundane if the goal was simply to kill Diablo, but the goal is to beat the record time, and it would take some crazy combination of skill and luck to pull it off. I don't know if it would be entertaining to watch on a regular basis, but maybe for some people it is.

It's clearly a glitch run (or cheating, as we used to call it :p), but it's not so different from power gaming through Diablo either. I remember certain players who timed Laz runs back in the day. The last 2 minutes of this run would be like their games. They didn't dupe gold, but had plenty of gold from the last run. They didn't have "low hp", but could still blind teleport into any room without getting stunlocked due to equipment or character level. They spend hours teleporting from staircase to staircase to get to level 15 a hundred times and try to find that golden whatever.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by Nystul - 01-13-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by kandrathe - 01-15-2016, 06:21 PM
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by Nystul - 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM