On assaulting Nurses and Pro Football players.
(10-02-2017, 11:42 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:16 PM)Alram Wrote: I asked a simple question no more. I wanted to know how much you knew about the situation. In return I received an insult.

I know enough that would be "yes to independence" voters of this referendum were harassed, assaulted, and threatened with legal action for trying to invoke their democratic right to vote for sovereignty. Additionally, police have been raiding polling stations and seizing ballots to prevent the referendum from going through. The highest Spanish court even made the vote unconstitutional so that Spain could retain control over the lives of [would be] Catalan citizens.

Of course, when fascist, anti-separation protesters went around the streets of Barelona looking for any pro-separation voter to beat their brains in, there was no problem with that.

Why do they want independence? Because Catalans have their own culture, language and national identity that is independent of Spains. Not to mention, they are one of the most economically repressed parts of Spain with one of the highest tax rates in all of Europe - so much so that their education, healthcare and overall standard of living has suffered greatly. There is also a historical territorial factor, in that they never were a part of Spanish territory WILLFULLY.
There are several inaccuracies in your statements.
Language
There are about as many Catalan speakers outside Catalonia as there are in it (Valencia, Balearic Islands, Aragon).
Additionally, Spanish is the first language for more people in Catalonia than Catalan. 55% -- Spanish as 1st language vs. 31% for Catalan.

Demographics
People originally from other regions of Spain outnumber Catalans in many areas of Catalonia, especially in Barcelona.

Economy
Catalonia is one of the most prosperous areas of Spain. They are not "economically repressed". Catalonia does pay out more to the central government than it receives back, essentially helping poorer areas of Spain, a redistribution of wealth.

History
Catalans overwhelmingly approved the 1978 constitution, the terms of which render a unilateral vote for independence null and void.

There is more, but I am tired and I am going to bed. Buenas noches.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]

Messages In This Thread
RE: On assaulting Nurses and Pro Football players. - by Alram - 10-03-2017, 02:55 AM