Moral Panic — from anti-commie to anti-nazi
(09-30-2017, 02:58 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: In any case, this whole model minority thing tends to be yet another tool to justify racism. Now I know you aren't doing such a thing, but I have to say this idea is so commonplace that if Asians are being used as a group to justify such, then they are certainly being oppressed even if they are doing well. Maybe that just means the racists have failed, rather than any actual goodwill.
The whole monolithic racial thing breaks down when you start breaking down into subgroups. I really think it comes down to what you do with what you have, and whether you live in an area where there is any opportunity to build wealth. Look at Appalachia. Still poor as dirt after 200 years of working the same rural acres. I think there are just places that have very little opportunity. You can look anecdotally at people like Oprah to see that she had a lot against her, but eventually did what she could, ended up with a scholarship to Tennessee State which changed her life. So, generally, a way I think we can fix this is that we need to find a way to bring more opportunity into impoverished areas.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moral Panic — from anti-commie to anti-nazi - by kandrathe - 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM