Wow! Trump's Comments Actually Shock Me!
(02-20-2018, 04:45 PM)Jester Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 01:21 AM)kandrathe Wrote: I agree he exhibits an un-Christian life, which in the political realm is all that matters to Christians.

*spits coffee*

White evangelicals voted for Trump with a gigantic supermajority. They still support him more than almost any other group. Whatever one thinks of Trump's politics, anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the last three decades knows that Donald Trump has led a decidedly ... unchristian... life.

Curiously, black evangelicals are almost the mirror image, opposing Trump more consistently than almost any other group. (Other Christian denominations sit other places on the spectrum.)

I would draw almost the opposite conclusion: Christians have politics like everyone has politics, and it has (almost) blessed nothing to do with whether the candidate lives a Christian life or not.

-Jester
I should probably unpack that better. Christianity is very sectarian, so almost "no one" is doing it correctly, according to anyone's beliefs, unless they are the exact same. When it comes to politicians trying to "qualify" as worthy of your in-group preference, hardly no one has it.

So... like Mitt Romney, who seems pretty squeaky clean, I'd guess for a Mormon. But, the folks down at Oral Roberts need to evaluate him through the generic "Evangelical" lens. Or, "does he walk the talk"? He's in their outgroup.

Most politicians fall well short, as even the aspiration of power is characteristically un-christian. The deeper meaning of 1st century principles, like "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's", was not only to where possible follow the Roman laws, but conversely don't get involved in Roman affairs.

Back to Trump. I believe evangelical Christians, especially white evangelical Christians, were/are a major source of support for Trump with over 80% of them voting for him, and they continue to be a key part of his base.

Jim Wallis, president of Sojourners Magazine, said recently on an NPR interview in reply to a question on presidential candidate morality (i.e. Bill Clinton) Wrote:"I was against those who said, as you know, we should just move on. I didn't move on. I said, his moral behavior - moral behavior is connected to governance. And a few of us said that and got critiqued from the left for saying so back then. But I think there's got to be consistency in this. And Donald Trump's moral behavior is really - is really disgusting. It's the antithesis of Christian values.

This is the worship of money and sex and power. Everyone struggles with - public figures struggle. They should struggle. There's not even a struggle with this man. And I agree with Pastor York speaking the truth to power, but this man's destroying truth. This is an administration of perpetual, continual lying. So much is at stake for our faith and the soul of the nation. And how we respond as Christians has got to be more than the ends justify the means."

My take is that this is how most Christians feel, but tend to be faced with bad choices, so end up choosing the one who will maybe stand for some issues in their interest. More clearly what I should have said is... that if given a moral candidate who also backs their issues, they would choose that one, but given two immoral choices, it will be the one who backs their issues.

But, again, like Jim Wallis, I believe people need to vote more on the persons character, and refuse to pick the lesser of two evils. Even when that means your side loses (which is why I think Roy Moore lost).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wow! Trump's Comments Actually Shock Me! - by kandrathe - 02-20-2018, 10:45 PM