...might have to say goodbye to Lurkers on Tich :(
Mavfin,Apr 6 2005, 08:52 AM Wrote:When we both get the time to finish up hard quests together, we don't really want to spend that time fighting a raid, or raiding.  We work best out kicking mobs around. 

That's the thing. On a PvP server, it's not large scale raiding. Most PvP is small group stuff that happens spontaneously. You're out in the wilderness doing your quest thing when you turn the corner and *bam*, there's some alliance. You have only a second to evaluate the situation. How big is their party? What are their levels? What is their class configuration? In a fight, which party would likely win? If my party won, would it be a convincing enough victory that we wouldn't lose anyone or at least could rez the one or two people who do die? Would the victory be convincing enough to discourage reprisals? Are there other Horde groups nearby whose assistance we could ask for? Do we fight, flee, or "try to be cool" (in other words, see if the alliance guys would be willing to agree to a temporary cease-fire so that both groups can finish their quests -- negotiations usually involve a series of /wave's and /bow's).

You can bet the Alliance group has seen you and is running through its own thought process. If you don't evaluate the situation quickly enough, you'll have your decision made for you. It's this kind of intensity and spontaneity that players on the PvE servers miss out on. Yes, you can occationally fight other players who attack your towns, but that's all planned out and you can watch the fight as long as you want and only flag yourself for PvP at the most advantageous time for yourself (when the other guy's back is turned and is fighting two other players/NPC's, most likely). That's just not PvP to me, or at best it's PvP-lite. In real PvP, you have to deal with the reactions and intelligences of the opposing players. Sometimes, you find yourself in disadvantageous situations. Hey, that's life. The question is how you deal with it. Sometimes I've ended up winning due to skill or luck even though I started off in a disadvantaged position. Sometimes, winning is simply getting away. Sometimes, it involves getting revenge or grabbing some people to help you get revenge.

And hey, I understand that some people are still getting used to the game, are having fun exploring a lot of the PvE content, and don't want to have to be "bothered" by other players. If that fits your personality, then that's fine. All I'm saying is that there is this whole other aspect of the game that you're missing out on.

Messages In This Thread
...might have to say goodbye to Lurkers on Tich :( - by MongoJerry - 04-06-2005, 07:57 PM
...might have to say goodbye to Lurkers on Tich :( - by savaughn - 04-06-2005, 11:43 PM