Some ?'s re Traps & ....
Forgive me for perhaps having bad memory but I will try my best.

>And according to JG?s, ?magic traps includes Fire Wall, Flame Wave and Ring of
>Fire attacks from other players. ? Now this cannot be an all-inclusive list in an of
>itself: the Firebolt trap and Nova trap are definitely magic traps and yet are not
>mentioned.

Of course. What I mean here is that those three spells casted by players will attack as if they are magic traps, not as if they originate from a player. All traps listed in the trap section are magic traps except the pure arrow. This is in part explained better in the battle chapter perhaps. Although I can agree it might seem confusing.

>Lightning trap: if you stand in the tile through which the lightning passes, you
>take appropriate damage. It is unblockable. Thus, 100% to hit? (doing 40%
>damage?)

No, the bolts will attack you each frame and with a chance to hit of 40% each frame. Since the duration is 8 frames, you will have 8 attacks, each with a 40% chance to hit. I suppose that means once every 60 time or so, you should never be hit. I have never tested that though.

>Nova: again, if you stand in a tile adjacent to the chest from which the Nova
>originates, youWILL take damage, the question only being how much. Thus,
>100% to hit? (doing 40% damage?)

Each nova bolt will try to hit you once, but since there are many bolts in a nova spell, and since there are only 8 tiles arround the chest, you will have multiple bolts trying to hit you (as oposed to a lightning which is actually a stationary bolt trying to hit you several times.

>Ring of Fire trap: again, you stand in the tile that has fire in it, you take damage,
>the only question being how much -- so, 100% to hit? (doing 40% damage?)

Same as lighting, stationary flames each attacking every frame. You might be hit by more than 1 flame though since they overlap.

>Barrel traps: treated like Firebolt, can be blocked, yet if you stand in a tile that is
>NOT going to be hit with barrel trap damage, you take none, yet if you stand in a
>tile that IS to take barrel trap damage, there is a 100% chance you?ll be hit with a
>chance you?ll block the damage?

It is treated as if a firebolt is set of into your location, think of it as a stationary firebolt fired into your location, it will try to hit once and then it is removed.

>And what about PvP? JG?s states: ?magic traps includes Fire Wall, Flame Wave
>and Ring of Fire attacks from other players. ? Shouldn?t this be testable? Go PvP
>and cast a Flame Wave at an opponent -- rather than take the damage listed in
>the caster?s spell book, the opponent should only take at maximum 40% of that
>damage (assuming 0% fire resists and no shield to block with)?

No, the damage is based on the player casting it (see guide for values), the tohit is as if it was a trap though (basically 40%).

> It wouldn?t be
>that the Flame Wave would ?hit? only 40% of the time, but that it would hit doing
>40% of the damage? Or, does Flame Wave actually MISS 60% of the time in
>PvP?

Yes, but then typically you are hit by 2 or 3 different flames, each frame!

>So, what does this actual 40% to hit of Magic Traps mean?

That each time they try to hit you, there is a 40% chance they actually do :)

>Ok, and now we get to the lovely Fire-arrow trap, bane of many an IM game. Is
>the Fire-arrow trap an ?arrow trap? for to hit purposes, or a ?magic trap??

If I rrecall correctly, it is an arrow that then sets of a fire effect "spell". I have a whole subchapter on this if I recall correctly.

> This
>matters quite a bit, since if it has arrow trap to hit, one should try to max AC so
>that the trap won?t hit in the first place. If it is Magic trap to hit and has the
>autohit value of 40%, then AC be darned and go for the fire resistance or -dfe
>instead. Or, does the Arrow have to hit FIRST (thus arrow trap to hit
>considerations) and the Fire damage rendered afterwards ?hit? 40% of the time
>(of doing only 40% of its damage)? Thus go all out AC to try to make the durn
>arrow miss in the first place?

I would say that yes, high AC helps, but this is from pure memory, I don't recall it well.

>And just how does the fire damage (assuming you?ve been hit by the arrow)
>actually take place? If it takes place much like fire and lightning arrows on bows,
>then according to JG?s: ?as soon as the fire or lightning arrow hits and has done
>its non magical damage, the effect will switch into a fire or lightning damage
>attack, quite similar to the one spawned for melee attacks. This extra fire or
>lightning attack will, as opposed to with melee attacks, hit more than once and
>will try 7 times (9 if fire) before it ends.?

Yes, the fire arrow is the exact same as from a bow.

>Do we assume that the physical arrow itself of the Fire arrow trap does 0
>damage, and the damage comes from the fire? Being a fire arrow, the damage
>will try to strike you 9 times before it ends? If you have no fire resists, is this
>blockable? Some of it? None of it? All of it? Is it possible to block the _arrow_
>yet still take the fire damage (thus, it would be better not to even use a shield?)?

I don't remember how it is, there is both damage on the arrow and on the resulting fire attack, just as for a fire arrow from a player if I recall correctly.

>And just how does this fire damage take place? If it happens ?over time?, does
>the damage strike you sequentially (i.e., you get hit nine separate times over the
>course of ?Speed/Duration 32?? Or is all the damage calculated to hit you in one
>massive strike)?

Check the chapter dealing with the firearrow (loghting arrow), it explains in detail, it is the exact same for a trap fire arrow.

>And where does blocking enter into this? If you have no fire resists, can you
>?block? the fire damage even though the ?arrow? has hit you? Would you still
>take the multiple damage (nine times) or can you block some of it? After all, you
>can block the fire damage of a Firebolt trap.

I don't remember well. I guess I could always go and read the guide but that seems to not help to make it clear?

Did the above help?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
Some ?'s re Traps & .... - by Attika - 12-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Some ?'s re Traps & .... - by the Langolier - 12-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Some ?'s re Traps & .... - by Jarulf - 12-30-2004, 11:55 PM