What issues do you think are most important
Minionman,Dec 8 2004, 09:00 PM Wrote:What the title says.  I nthe election thread people talked about why they picked a particular person, this thread is more what they want for themselves not related to anybody.

For example for me:  I think right now national debt, social security and tax law changes, and education are the most important issues right now that a lot of people don't seem to be thinking about much.  In several years these problems will come back to bite the U.S., so I'd like to find solutions now.  I also think these issues relate to resposibility and good decision makign in general, which are the types of values, if any, I think sohould be taught to people.  Environmental and energy issues als relate to this. 

What do other people think?  And to keep this thread from getting in to arguments, I'll ask people not to make responses, or at least not make argumentative arguments about other people's views.

Edit: This is NOT meant to be U.S. only.  I didn't write "U.S." issues the first time since I figured people would understand what I was talking about thanks to the threads on U.S. politics, and didn't expect people to put that limit on it.
[right][snapback]62277[/snapback][/right]

Firstly, just as all the beauty contestants wish for, World Peace. That's important. Achieveable or not, it is worth working at.

Secondly? Population control. Population pressure causes conflict and war, varying in degree from period to period. It also drives famine and pestilance.

Thirdly? Proliferation of non autocratic governments. The move toward republicanism and democracy needs to continue, in its many interesting forms.

Fourthly? Undo the damage of the tower of Babel, and get language to quit being the divisive force that it is in the world. Esparanto, anyone? :whistling:

Fifthly? Bring back melody in popular music, and lyric.

Sixthly? Banish illiteratcy.

Seventhly? Puerto Rico needs to cut the umbilicle chord and become its own nation. Likewise Guam. (US only)

Eighthly? Bring back passport checks within Europe, the terrorists are feasting on intra EU mobility. Dumbest idea I ever saw, and I was living in Europe when it went down. Self inflicted wound, and a step in the wrong direction in the ability to counter both terror and international crime.

Ninthly? Lower the drinking age to 19. (US only)

Tenthly? (US) Raise the voting age back to 21, the draft is no more, and that is why is got lowered to 18.

Eleventhly? Repeal Moore's Law.

Twelfthly? Make formation of yet another Metal Band, or Rap Artist/Group, a capital offense. Our quota is used up until about the year 2525. ;)

Not much of a twelve days of Christmas list, but a start anyway. I still have my two front teeth.

Occhi

PS: Tell Mick and the Stones to bloody retire, already! I love 'em, my favorite rock and roll band of all time, but enough is enough!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
What issues do you think are most important - by Occhidiangela - 12-10-2004, 05:03 AM