What issues do you think are most important
What the title says. I nthe election thread people talked about why they picked a particular person, this thread is more what they want for themselves not related to anybody.

For example for me: I think right now national debt, social security and tax law changes, and education are the most important issues right now that a lot of people don't seem to be thinking about much. In several years these problems will come back to bite the U.S., so I'd like to find solutions now. I also think these issues relate to resposibility and good decision makign in general, which are the types of values, if any, I think sohould be taught to people. Environmental and energy issues als relate to this.

What do other people think? And to keep this thread from getting in to arguments, I'll ask people not to make responses, or at least not make argumentative arguments about other people's views.

Edit: This is NOT meant to be U.S. only. I didn't write "U.S." issues the first time since I figured people would understand what I was talking about thanks to the threads on U.S. politics, and didn't expect people to put that limit on it.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
The only issues I have at the moment are my exams, and how much they suck.

It may sound shallow, but that's what's occupying my thoughts at the moment, and those stupid essays keep me away from my thesis, and my thesis keeps me away from what I really would like to be doing: fiction writing.

And to keep this thread from getting in to arguments, I'll ask people not to make responses, or at least not make argumentative arguments about other people's views.

Not gonna happen. ^_^ When people have radical opinions or flat out disagree with some things, people will argue. Thing is, intelligent posters know how to disagree without name-calling. :)

The US economy is awaiting the toilet flush but no one in the current administration (that I know of) is willing to put in the time and effort to make major structural changes, especially to Social Security. The War Hawks still clamor for blood and oil and are getting both by the bucketfull--the Average Joe money problems will just have to wait.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Dec 9 2004, 04:41 PM Wrote:and those stupid essays keep me away from my thesis, and my thesis keeps me away from what I really would like to be doing: fiction writing.
You need to do a thesis to write fiction?
whyBish,Dec 8 2004, 10:38 PM Wrote:You need to do a thesis to write fiction?
[right][snapback]62299[/snapback][/right]

No, the thesis takes up too much time, so she has less time to write fiction. At least that's what I think it meant.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I assume we are talking about the U.S here.

I have been living in this country for almost a year now. I like the place a lot, to be honest, mainly because everything works the way it's supposed to work (at least most of the time) and people are at least respectful (or just plain indifferent) of what you do, as opposed to my home country in Central America. From where I am sitting right now, I think the most important thing this country needs to fix ASAP are its international relations. You know, when people in foreign countries take to the streets to celebrate the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers, and when the general consencus in a country is that Americans are stupid (hey, that's the way people perceive Americans in my home country), then you know something's wrong.
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
Ashkael,Dec 8 2004, 11:34 PM Wrote:and when the general consencus in a country is that Americans are stupid (hey, that's the way people perceive Americans in my home country), then you know something's wrong.
[right][snapback]62314[/snapback][/right]

Mind you, I'm not contradicting you here, you're correct. However, one does wonder how those people explain that the US is what it is, and most of the countries whos populations think that, are the pathetic cesspools that they are. I guess maybe they never stop to think about it. Hmm....

-A

Minionman,Dec 9 2004, 04:47 AM Wrote:No, the thesis takes up too much time, so she has less time to write fiction.  At least that's what I think it meant.
[right][snapback]62301[/snapback][/right]

Yeah. As a senior English major with a concentration in creative writing, I can either do
-- a) a portfolio containing all my workshopped pieces plus a research paper in a 300 level English course that has a B grade or higher
-- e) a research thesis (~50 pages)
-- c) an Honors research thesis (~70 pages)
-- d) an Honors creative thesis: 40-50 poems or 75+ pages of fiction

My pet fiction project is a technopunk story. It asks, "can magic/fantasy coexist with technology? Can one develop or hinder the other?" And it gives me the chance to make bizarre conspiracy theories, pound home a couple moral lessons, and develop some dynamic characters. Alas...

...thesis work keeps me from writing it. My honors thesis is creative nonfiction about my life done a'la James Burke's Connections. (Where one event leads to another until several events are linked in a circle, and they all relate to a larger theme.) It sends me on an emotional roller coaster every time I sit down to write it, and having Captain Cardigan as your advisor doesn't help much either. (He is teh Canuck master of poetry and creative nonfiction.) It's ~40 pages I'm happy with and ~40 pages I absolutely despise and the Cap'n is disappointed with me and my latest turn-in because...

...exams keep me from fixing it. I have a Japanese exam, an art history exam, three 1K-2K word essays on world geography, a 4K research paper on Egyptian style at the Hadrian's Villa Adriana at Tivoli, and a 60 page creative writing workshop portfolio to edit. And it's all gotta be done by next Wednesday.

:wacko:

Note to all college-age Lurkers: 16 credit-hours + honors thesis + senior year = BAD IDEA.

I intend to spend J-term working on my thesis and playing computer and console games until my brains fall out. And other activities. But mostly a well-deserved (IMO) break for all the busywork I've had to do this semester.

But anyway...

Ashkael brings up a good point. International relations between the US and other countries stink. After 9/11, the US got a lot of support from the strangest of places. (Hell, even France was sympathetic, and the French don't really like Americans!) But America squandered that goodwill.

And you know what's really going to suck? The next president has to deal with the backwash and the conservative-biased media will attack him/her for the way international politics are, even though Shrub made the mess.
Ashock,Dec 9 2004, 07:28 AM Wrote:Mind you, I'm not contradicting you here, you're correct. However, one does wonder how those people explain that the US is what it is, and most of the countries whos populations think that, are the pathetic cesspools that they are. I guess maybe they never stop to think about it. Hmm....
-A
[right][snapback]62320[/snapback][/right]

I hope you're not insinuating what I think you're insinuating, else I'm going to stop being nice when you act like Pete without the coffee.

^_^
<_< :rolleyes:
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Ashock,Dec 9 2004, 07:28 AM Wrote:Mind you, I'm not contradicting you here, you're correct. However, one does wonder how those people explain that the US is what it is, and most of the countries whos populations think that, are the pathetic cesspools that they are. I guess maybe they never stop to think about it. Hmm....
-A
[right][snapback]62320[/snapback][/right]

As minionman said , I don't want to get into an argument. I did not really understand Ashkeals post though. In most european countries the majority of the people think americans are stupid...(and I'm NOT one one of them). I also think the people who think that are wrong. However, thinking that somebody is stupid, and celebrating a terrorist attack are two completely different things. So if you (ashkael) want to make a statement like this, please specify the country that you are talking about.

But let's get back to the topic. As Duckula, at the moment I'm also most worried about finishing my PhD thesis.(a nice 200 pages) (I have only 2 weeks....why am I posting here??)

But in the world (because I'm not living in the US) it is the environment and 3rd world poverty.
Count Duckula,Dec 9 2004, 12:32 AM Wrote:I hope you're not insinuating what I think you're insinuating, else I'm going to stop being nice when you act like Pete without the coffee.

^_^
[right][snapback]62322[/snapback][/right]

Hmm, and what is it that you think I'm insinuating?

-A
Ashock,Dec 9 2004, 04:18 PM Wrote:Hmm, and what is it that you think I'm insinuating?
-A
[right][snapback]62346[/snapback][/right]

<i>However, one does wonder how those people explain that the US is what it is, and most of the countries whos populations think that, are the pathetic cesspools that they are. I guess maybe they never stop to think about it.</i>

To me, this reads "the countries that think the US sucks should realize how much they suck more before criticizing Americans or the US."

This may or may not be the intention your post had, but this is how I read it. :)
In the [questionably] famous words of my sig:

ignorance bad, ignorance bad, ignorance bad.

;)
eppie,Dec 9 2004, 04:15 AM Wrote:As minionman said , I don't want to get into an argument. I did not really understand Ashkeals post though. In most european countries the majority of the people think americans are stupid...(and I'm NOT one one of them). I also think the people who think that are wrong. However, thinking that somebody is stupid, and celebrating a terrorist attack are two completely different things. So if you (ashkael) want to make a statement like this, please specify the country that you are talking about.

But let's get back to the topic. As Duckula, at the moment I'm also most worried about finishing my PhD thesis.(a nice 200 pages) (I have only 2 weeks....why am I posting here??)

But in the world (because I'm not living in the US) it is the environment and 3rd world poverty.
[right][snapback]62332[/snapback][/right]

I'll edit this in to the first post, but go ahead and type of important issues in yor opinion for other countries. The U.S. has been talked up so much that I didn't mention that it was "U.S. issues" in the first post, figuring that people would get what I was ytalking about, and I didn't think it would get limited.

Ashkael,Dec 9 2004, 12:34 AM Wrote:I assume we are talking about the U.S here.

Nope., Igo ahead and write up about other countries. See my response to eppie's post for more info.

Count Duckula,Dec 9 2004, 01:37 PM Wrote:<i>However, one does wonder how those people explain that the US is what it is, and most of the countries whos populations think that, are the pathetic cesspools that they are. I guess maybe they never stop to think about it.</i>

To me, this reads "the countries that think the US sucks should realize how much they suck more before criticizing Americans or the US."

This may or may not be the intention your post had, but this is how I read it. :)
[right][snapback]62374[/snapback][/right]

Yep, that's it. So, what's the problem with this point of view?

-A
Ashock,Dec 9 2004, 06:37 PM Wrote:Yep, that's it. So, what's the problem with this point of view?
-A
[right][snapback]62418[/snapback][/right]

Nothing, which you already know, Brother A.

I am hoping to avert a urinating contest here. Yes, me, who has been in plenty of them here recently. "Occhi with the mop, to the lounge. Occhi, with the mop please."

Each nation has a certain suckage quotient particular to it, and each has a marvelousness quotient native to it. Take the bitter with the sweet, or change brands. The carping has about about as much point as cooking a carp. <_<

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 9 2004, 11:52 PM Wrote:Nothing, which you already know, Brother A.&nbsp;

I am hoping to avert a urinating contest here.&nbsp; Yes, me, who has been in plenty of them here recently.&nbsp; "Occhi with the mop, to the lounge.&nbsp; Occhi, with the mop please."

Each nation has a certain suckage quotient particular to it, and each has a marvelousness quotient native to it.&nbsp; Take the bitter with the sweet, or change brands.&nbsp; The carping has about about as much point as cooking a carp.&nbsp; <_<

Occhi
[right][snapback]62452[/snapback][/right]

How would have Julia Childs cooked a carp?

"Ooooh my! I seem to have nicked my finger with the filet knife!"
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Minionman,Dec 8 2004, 09:00 PM Wrote:What the title says.&nbsp; I nthe election thread people talked about why they picked a particular person, this thread is more what they want for themselves not related to anybody.

For example for me:&nbsp; I think right now national debt, social security and tax law changes, and education are the most important issues right now that a lot of people don't seem to be thinking about much.&nbsp; In several years these problems will come back to bite the U.S., so I'd like to find solutions now.&nbsp; I also think these issues relate to resposibility and good decision makign in general, which are the types of values, if any, I think sohould be taught to people.&nbsp; Environmental and energy issues als relate to this.&nbsp;

What do other people think?&nbsp; And to keep this thread from getting in to arguments, I'll ask people not to make responses, or at least not make argumentative arguments about other people's views.

Edit: This is NOT meant to be U.S. only.&nbsp; I didn't write "U.S." issues the first time since I figured people would understand what I was talking about thanks to the threads on U.S. politics, and didn't expect people to put that limit on it.
[right][snapback]62277[/snapback][/right]

Firstly, just as all the beauty contestants wish for, World Peace. That's important. Achieveable or not, it is worth working at.

Secondly? Population control. Population pressure causes conflict and war, varying in degree from period to period. It also drives famine and pestilance.

Thirdly? Proliferation of non autocratic governments. The move toward republicanism and democracy needs to continue, in its many interesting forms.

Fourthly? Undo the damage of the tower of Babel, and get language to quit being the divisive force that it is in the world. Esparanto, anyone? :whistling:

Fifthly? Bring back melody in popular music, and lyric.

Sixthly? Banish illiteratcy.

Seventhly? Puerto Rico needs to cut the umbilicle chord and become its own nation. Likewise Guam. (US only)

Eighthly? Bring back passport checks within Europe, the terrorists are feasting on intra EU mobility. Dumbest idea I ever saw, and I was living in Europe when it went down. Self inflicted wound, and a step in the wrong direction in the ability to counter both terror and international crime.

Ninthly? Lower the drinking age to 19. (US only)

Tenthly? (US) Raise the voting age back to 21, the draft is no more, and that is why is got lowered to 18.

Eleventhly? Repeal Moore's Law.

Twelfthly? Make formation of yet another Metal Band, or Rap Artist/Group, a capital offense. Our quota is used up until about the year 2525. ;)

Not much of a twelve days of Christmas list, but a start anyway. I still have my two front teeth.

Occhi

PS: Tell Mick and the Stones to bloody retire, already! I love 'em, my favorite rock and roll band of all time, but enough is enough!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
1) Worldwide implementation of a cheap non-polluting source of renewable energy.
2) Stabilizing the worlds human population at a sustainable level.
3) Reverse the effects of pollution by mankind for the past 100 years, and become better stewards of the planet.
4) Eliminating all the infectious diseases that we can.
5) Eliminating the need for non-renwable resources, and achieving an equilibrium an the renewable ones we do need.
6) Eliminating ignorance, poverty, and repression.

20) Continue our conquest of the galaxy.

:) Interesting to ponder. I believe that while the above seem far fetched, if we as a population of 6 billion focused on them, we would solve some of them. I applaud Europe for pursuing a working Fusion reactor, and other places for exploring workable hydrogen and fuel cell technologies. Imagine if we just solved #1 to eliminate the burning of fossil fuels, how it would transform the world and remove all the angst of the Middle East.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]