Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:I'm really not clear, so maybe you're right. Did that post get edited between when I wrote my reply and now? Or am I just staying up too late and drinking to much Guinness?

If your assertion is that I do not believe in or support 'the modern world', or believe in its 'wrongness', or would somehow prefer Islamist fanatics to blow it up or take it over or something, then all I can say is you've misread some pretty gigantic aspects of my personal beliefs. I can't imagine anything I believe less than that proposition. I love the modern world. I love science and technology and the freedom to do as I please. I would rather live now than at any other point in history, and in the free world over any of the various dictatorships, fundamentalisms or oligarchies of the middle east.

What on earth would make you think otherwise?

-Jester
Let me try this another way, I was not at my most eloquent.

It is important first of all to win. The "modern world" is a mix of things, but if it doesn't win, then we move backward.

Once we win, it is well to look back and see what we could have done better, or less imperfectly. But you only have that luxury when you win.

In the meantime, you gotta make the winning omlette, which means ya gotta break a few eggs.

I disagree with the standard that you hold the leadership of the modern world to. No, Jester, the terrorists don't win if we kick a few of them around here and there in our pursuit of the win. That is an issue I suspect you and I may never see eye to eye on.

The demand of perfect morality in pursuit of the win gets in the way of the win. In hockey terms, I don't care if we now and again get a two minute minor, or an occasional high stick call.

The win is the key, it is the aim, it is the goal.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by Occhidiangela - 05-03-2009, 01:38 AM