Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:You don't have to "forego" your principles in order to be realistic about foreign policy. You can do whatever you like, domestically. But when you step into the world of foreign policy, you just have to acknowledge that the world does not simply obey your commands if you yell loud enough. There are realistic, constructive ways to promote your principles, and there are quixotic, destructive ways to try (and no doubt fail) to cram them down the throats of other countries. Even Nixon, of all people, had that much figured out.
I think there is a difference between those nations that "know" the difference between right and wrong, yet choose to do wrong things. For example, I wouldn't expect the same behavior from Saudi Arabia that I would from Switzerland because of their differences in traditions. Yet, I would condemn equally the barbarity of both nations when it is exhibited. I don't have multiple standards, but when some nations fail to meet the standards I'm not surprised, whereas when others fail, like the USA, I am flabbergasted. Diplomacy is something different than engaging in free trade and open borders.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM