Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:Well, as of 2008, with Cuba, you had no formal diplomacy to speak of, a 50 year old embargo on practically everything, and an absolute travel ban.
It would be OK if the US government wanted to try to have an embassy in these places, as long as they are guaranteed safety. But, we all know the history of US embassies in hostile territories.
Quote:There is no other country on earth, not even North Korea, where the restrictions are so severe. Would it be "prostrating" to maybe treat them with as much friendship as close allies like Iran? Because right now, and for half a century, relations haven't even been that good. Cuba is literally the rock bottom case.
Yss, we should treat criminal regimes equally, so I have no problem in adding Iran and North Korea to the list of people that we treat like Cuba. These would be the people at the "D-" rating on an A through F system, where F is "At war", and "A" is "most favored nation status". They would be "F" if we cared enough to risk American lives, but there is no reason to actually fight with them. I believe technically, we are still in a cease fire with North Korea, but the War is in stasis. In 2007 the official US position was, ""We look forward to the day when we can end the Korean War." I think Cuba got the "D-" when they put the USSR's nuclear missile silos on their soil, and we haven't moved past that yet. And Iran, well, Iraq was much about showing Iran what we'd really like to do to them, if only we cared enough (and securing our supply of cheap oil of course).
Quote:Out of curiosity, which group does Cuba fall into, the "don't expect any better" camp, or the "how could they possibly" camp?
"how could they possibly" -- it is telling that the most vocal advocates of Castro come from Phd's outside of Cuba.

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2008/02/18/cuba...-remains-intact

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM