Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:Because, from the tone of what you've said so far in this thread, it sounds a lot like you feel the USA should rule the world, and do so by force. If that is your opinion, then I've greatly overestimated your political acumen in the past. But if it isn't, then maybe you need to review and revise how you express your outlook.
Yes, my tone is harsh, but that is not my world view. Simply;

What justified the embargo in the first place, and what has ever changed? What conditions have we placed on thawing relations with Cuba, are they reasonable, and have they done anything to try to meet our conditions? Has either Castro done anything AT ALL to make overtures to the US to try to ease the tensions between our nations?

Yes, the Cuban Missile Crisis was a long time ago, but as you well know, Cuba's done more than that to export its revolution in more recent history as well (Grenada, El Salvador, Columbia, Nicaragua, Angola, Algeria, Zaire, Yemen, Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau,Mozambique, Bolivia, Dominican Republic, etc.). They are also on the list of direct sponsors and havens for terrorism for their activities supporting ELN, FARC, ETA, and others.

And, from a geopolitical POV, a prosperous Cuba would still deprive its citizens and use its resources to destabilize Central and South America. The US embargo, while hard on Cubans, is the only way to contain the Castro regime and however little, put pressure on them to change. If you want to end the embargo, then convince the Cubans and the rest of the world to pressure the Castro regime to reform. Barring that, we are better off with a destitute Cuba, than a prosperous one.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-06-2009, 09:18 PM