Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:Torture might sometimes have yielded some useful information. However I think that the damage done to our credibility,
eppie, you seem to put great store in the value of perceived credibility. You also pretend to know how it is earned from all facets of international interaction.

Here is one thing you can count on: America will kill for certain things, our way of life being one of them. I even swore an oath to do that. You are invited to read the Code of Conduct.

On a more serious note, you and most others are talking out of your arse, to include me.

We are the peanut gallery. Those who have been in the arena ought to be given more consideration than you offer.

A guy named Porter Goss recently wrote a fairly coherent piece about the entire issue. He may not be the most objective, but he was in it up to his neck, at both the Congressional level and later as director of CIA when Tenet left.

Don't forget: what is going on now is pure political BS. No surprise, or it should not be. I sense that Attorney General Holder will not go witch hunting after agents. Pres Obama pretty much promised he would not in a recent address to the agency. Obama can't afford to lose the veterans there. He needs them too badly, in this multi polar world where intel work is becoming more and more important.

Also, whoever would be charged will lawyer up. Hell, some of them are lawyers. This puts the decision to pursue anyone for their judgments at some risk: if you take them to court and you lose, you have made an arse of yourself, and lost a major political battle.

Obama, IMO, would be wise to move forward. He has a lot on his plate. Pakistan is getting worse, not better, if one checks the news these days.

And they have nukes.

Occhil
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by Occhidiangela - 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM