Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:"Siege" can be replaced with much of the failures of American policy in the pertinent matters to this topic. In that we overvalue Skill and undervalue Effort. And yet we stand aghast at our failures like Goliath in every conflict where an opponent doesn't play by our rules. Gladwell here references Maurice de Saxe's statement that war is about "legs, not arms". This couldn't be any more true, especially in our present conflicts. Actual diplomacy is hard, it takes a lot of effort.
I agree with you. America's biggest weakness is its short attention span, its poor skills in diplomacy, and its lack of sustained willpower in a lengthy struggle. The notable exception was the Cold War, but then the enemy was real and kept us fearful for the entire 30 year period. We've an embargo with Cuba, but not a blockade. So, I would acknowledge that siege is not quite the right term.
Quote:It's much easier to lay out a bunch of arbitrary rules and then sit back smug as if our enemies have any intention of following them.
Some of the rules broken by Castro are not that arbitrary. It would be pretty universally accepted that when you move your troops into another nation it is an act of war against that nation, and its allies. Also, when you aid our enemies, you must realize it is antagonistic. Lately, Cuba has joined with North Korea, Iran, Venezuela and all the other nations who seem to be hell bent on hurting not only the US, but most of Europe.

I'm just not seeing the upside here for us to try to be friends with Cuba until the regime changes the way it operates mostly because of its foreign policy.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM