Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:...we are all the same, and we should stop making up threats like this and concentrate on the real threats.
In a way, I agree with your assessment. I believe the threat to people, no matter where they are, is to their liberty. These wars, as I see it, are more between those who believe in tyrannical control of their populations, and those who believe in limited controls.

The cold-war, and our continuing tiff with Cuba was less about the economic system of communism, and more about the tyranny of Stalinism. I don't think anyone in the US was afraid of collective or cooperative farming, as it was heavily practiced in the US since its founding. We are against the loss of property rights, and subsequent state ownership of property and industry. Obviously, we can operate as a nation with organized labor unions collectively negotiating for fair pay, and fair working conditions (albeit they have their problems with both over zealousness and corruption). So, as I see it, the one evil of Stalinism we were set against was the government control, where the government told you where to live, and the government told you where to work and for what wage.

Truth be told, I am more fearful of the US federal government becoming more tyrannical and imposing its will on the populace, than I am of any external threat from other nations or terrorist organizations.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-08-2009, 02:36 PM