Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:The Eighth Amendment of your Constitution includes torture, of course. However, it applies only to people on American soil (regardless of nationality, btw). For situations outside the USA there is section 2340A of Chapter 113C of USC 18.
The Bill of Rights does apply to everyone on US soil, but I would argue that some constitutional rights only apply to citizens of the US, or those in the process of becoming citizens. Since immigration is an administrative action, the Supreme Court has ruled in the past that Congress has nearly full authority to regulate immigration without interference from the courts. So, indefinite incarceration, or deportation to the nation/prison of US choice is also an option for illegal aliens on US soil.

The Justice Department memo I referred to was a discussion between them and the DOD on the limits of presidential power in the event of a National Security threat. By precedence, the president has in the past suspended individuals constitutional rights, and has set aside sections of USC in the interests of national security. In fact, I believe one intention of the memo was to warn the DOD on the exact boundaries of the law to prevent them from straying over the line.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-17-2009, 08:00 PM